Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Bram Kuijper

Default auto-boot network card

Hi all,

when I start up my Ubuntu Gutsy box, I always have to manually reboot my
network card, using sudo ifdown [cardname]; sudo ifup [cardname], in
order to get it to work.

My question is: why do I always have to start my network card manually?
Wouldn't it be logical if ubuntu just executes this ifdown/ifup
automatically upon booting?

cheers,

Bram

PS 1: My dmesg is giving the following message on boot:
[ 35.977149] e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
Connection
[ 54.980261] e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full
Duplex, Flow Control: RX
[ 54.980265] e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO

PS 2: My eth0 settings are simple, nothing more than:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
James Black

Hi Kuijper,
i dont have this issue with my ubuntu. it works fine. It's not good to
generalize your issue and assume it's an universal Ubuntu issue. it's
not polite.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
"John Dangler"

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 09:11 -0500, James Black wrote:
> Hi Kuijper,
> i dont have this issue with my ubuntu. it works fine. It's not good to
> generalize your issue and assume it's an universal Ubuntu issue. it's
> not polite.
>
> Bram Kuijper wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > when I start up my Ubuntu Gutsy box, I always have to manually
> reboot my
> > network card, using sudo ifdown [cardname]; sudo ifup [cardname], in
> > order to get it to work.
> >
> > My question is: why do I always have to start my network card
> manually?
> > Wouldn't it be logical if ubuntu just executes this ifdown/ifup
> > automatically upon booting?
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Bram
> >
> > PS 1: My dmesg is giving the following message on boot:
> > [ 35.977149] e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
> > Connection
> > [ 54.980261] e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps
> Full
> > Duplex, Flow Control: RX
> > [ 54.980265] e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: 10/100 speed: disabling
> TSO
> >

> > PS 2: My eth0 settings are simple, nothing more than:
> >
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp

It would have been nice if you could have just answered the question.
Alter your interfaces file to this...

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
"Richard Bennett"

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:49:11 +0100, Bram Kuijper <a.l.w.kuijper@rug.nl>
wrote:

> when I start up my Ubuntu Gutsy box, I always have to manually reboot my
> network card, using sudo ifdown [cardname]; sudo ifup [cardname], in
> order to get it to work.

I used to have that kind of problem when switching between wireless and
fixed networks, often having to reboot before it would work.
Then I installed wicd http://wicd.sourceforge.net network manager, which
replaces the default network manager, and it has been rock-solid ever
since. Not had a single issue yet, and the tray-icon now correctly shows
my signal strength which the old network manager didn't.

Thanks to the guys at LUG radio for that tip.

Richard.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Bram Kuijper

auto eth0 was all that makes it autoboot! thanks, & apologies for the
slight generalization there.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
"John Dangler"

Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Derek Broughton

James Black wrote:

> i dont have this issue with my ubuntu. it works fine. It's not good to
> generalize your issue and assume it's an universal Ubuntu issue. it's
> not polite.

Nor is it polite to top-post...

> Bram Kuijper wrote:
>>
>> when I start up my Ubuntu Gutsy box, I always have to manually reboot my
>> network card, using sudo ifdown [cardname]; sudo ifup [cardname], in
>> order to get it to work.
>>
>> My question is: why do I always have to start my network card manually?
>> Wouldn't it be logical if ubuntu just executes this ifdown/ifup
>> automatically upon booting?

While I agree mostly with James, I do have a similar problem (with my
wireless NIC only). Fortunately I rarely boot - I hibernate & resume.
Since hibernate/resume automatically tears down & rebuilds interfaces
(including removal and reinsertion of the module), the first thing I do
after every reboot is hibernate!

Now, if I had the time to figure out exactly what is happening, I could fix
it and file a bug report...
--
derek

Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Derek Broughton

John Dangler wrote:

> It would have been nice if you could have just answered the question.

Well, he had a valid point.

> Alter your interfaces file to this...
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

better still, forget about eth0 altogether.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

is a very good interfaces file
--