Old 11-28-2007, 11:14 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default USB memory sticks get mounted as read only

Some USB memory sticks get mounted as read only. Why? How to fix this:
1) So it won't happen again?
2) So that I can write to disks that get mounted this way?

Unfortunately, I do not have a test case at the moment. But when I do,
it is usually urgent that I mount the drive and do what I need.
Therefore, first steps in troubleshooting, and possible solutions,
would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
"Caleb Marcus"

Some USB memory sticks get mounted as read only. Why? How to fix this:
1) So it won't happen again?
2) So that I can write to disks that get mounted this way?

Unfortunately, I do not have a test case at the moment. But when I do,

it is usually urgent that I mount the drive and do what I need.
Therefore, first steps in troubleshooting, and possible solutions,
would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Are the disks ntfs-formatted? If so, try installing NTFS Configuration Manager* (package ntfs-config) and running it, enabling NTFS for external devices. I know that Gutsy is supposed to mount NTFS partitions as r/w, but I don't know if it works the same way for external drives.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Brian Astill

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:44:52 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Some USB memory sticks get mounted as read only. Why? How to
> fix this: 1) So it won't happen again?
> 2) So that I can write to disks that get mounted this way?

On my AMD64 Gutsy the effect is intermittent.
I could not get my stick recognised at all. Then it was seen,
but read-only and I couldn't even copy from it.
Yesterday I tried my USB hard drive with success and later the
stick was OK. Still OK today. Go figure.

Brian

Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 29/11/2007, Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:44:52 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Some USB memory sticks get mounted as read only. Why? How to
> > fix this: 1) So it won't happen again?
> > 2) So that I can write to disks that get mounted this way?
>
> On my AMD64 Gutsy the effect is intermittent.
> I could not get my stick recognised at all. Then it was seen,
> but read-only and I couldn't even copy from it.
> Yesterday I tried my USB hard drive with success and later the
> stick was OK. Still OK today. Go figure.

That mimicks my machine's behaviour as well, under Feisty.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
James Takac

On Thursday 29 November 2007 09:30:29 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 29/11/2007, Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au> wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:44:52 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Some USB memory sticks get mounted as read only. Why? How to
> > > fix this: 1) So it won't happen again?
> > > 2) So that I can write to disks that get mounted this way?
> >
> > On my AMD64 Gutsy the effect is intermittent.
> > I could not get my stick recognised at all. Then it was seen,
> > but read-only and I couldn't even copy from it.
> > Yesterday I tried my USB hard drive with success and later the
> > stick was OK. Still OK today. Go figure.
>
> That mimicks my machine's behaviour as well, under Feisty.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Hi Guys

Maybe once it's mounted right click on it's icon and check the ownership and
permissions. Likely this is the issue. You may have to change them as super
user

James

Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM
"Matt Morgan"

On Nov 28, 2007 6:41 PM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 09:30:29 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > >
> > > On my AMD64 Gutsy the effect is intermittent.
> > > I could not get my stick recognised at all. Then it was seen,
> > > but read-only and I couldn't even copy from it.
> > > Yesterday I tried my USB hard drive with success and later the
> > > stick was OK. Still OK today. Go figure.
> >
> > That mimicks my machine's behaviour as well, under Feisty.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://what-is-what.com
> > http://gibberish.co.il
> > א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
> >
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>

> Hi Guys
>
> Maybe once it's mounted right click on it's icon and check the ownership and
> permissions. Likely this is the issue. You may have to change them as super
> user
>
> James

Have you guys tried this:

http://linuxblog.pansapiens.com/2007/10/22/mounting-usb-key-in-ubuntu-gutsy-710-the-usefree-error/

(brought to this list's attention in a recent thread--search for
'usefree'). Worked for me.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 AM
chino-yy

不要打扰我OK?

*们总是这*打扰我

我受不了

我什么也不会

别再给我邮件了

*
*

Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 AM

不要打扰我OK?

*们总是这*打扰我

我受不了

我什么也不会

别再给我邮件了

Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 28/11/2007, Caleb Marcus <caleb.marcus@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 7:14 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Some USB memory sticks get mounted as read only. Why? How to fix this:
> > 1) So it won't happen again?
> > 2) So that I can write to disks that get mounted this way?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I do not have a test case at the moment. But when I do,
> > it is usually urgent that I mount the drive and do what I need.
> > Therefore, first steps in troubleshooting, and possible solutions,
> > would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://what-is-what.com
> > http://gibberish.co.il
> > א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
> >
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> Are the disks ntfs-formatted? If so, try installing NTFS Configuration
> Manager (package ntfs-config) and running it, enabling NTFS for external
> devices. I know that Gutsy is supposed to mount NTFS partitions as r/w, but
> I don't know if it works the same way for external drives.

I should have mentioned that I know for a fact that this occurs with
FAT drives. I know, as it has happened with two of my own USB sticks,
which are always FAT. But in the future with foreign sticks I will
check that they are not NTFS. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 29/11/2007, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Maybe once it's mounted right click on it's icon and check the ownership and
> permissions. Likely this is the issue. You may have to change them as super
> user
>
> James

I did check that. I don't remember what the settings were, but I
certainly was not able to resolve the problem.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.