FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default DVD-RAM discs

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>
> Recently I have got a DVD recorder for ~30-35 Euros, AD-7203A
> (http://www.sonynec-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/half-height-drives/ad-7203a)
> supporting DVD-RAM discs .
>
> Some info on DVD-RAM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM
>
>
> The above site mentions that Linux supports DVD-RAM discs out of the
> box. Has anyone any experience on using DVD-RAM discs on Ubuntu? They
> look like a useful technology and such discs are sold in a local store.


Also this contains useful information:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-ram.cfm



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Markus Schönhaber
 
Default DVD-RAM discs

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>
[...]
>
> The above site mentions that Linux supports DVD-RAM discs out of the
> box. Has anyone any experience on using DVD-RAM discs on Ubuntu? They
> look like a useful technology and such discs are sold in a local store.

What exactly do you want to know?

Since the defect management of DVD-RAMs is supposed to be superior to
other CD/DVD media they seem to be suitable for backups. And that's
exactly what I use them for: to backup files I want to be able to easily
carry with me or store away.

Vanilla kernels prior to 2.6.22 contained a limitation in the UDF driver
which didn't allow you to write files > 1GB. This limitation was a
workaround for a bug in even older kernels where writing files > 1GB
could screw your data.
But since you're on Gutsy this is not a problem.
Whether previous Ubuntu kernels did contain a fix wrt this limitation, I
don't know.

What I consider most annoying wrt DVD-RAMs is the fact that most modern
burners are able to write DVD-RAMs with 8x, 10x or even higher speed,
but where I live it's next to impossible to buy media certified for more
than 3x.

Regards
mks


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default DVD-RAM discs

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>>
> [...]
>> The above site mentions that Linux supports DVD-RAM discs out of the
>> box. Has anyone any experience on using DVD-RAM discs on Ubuntu? They
>> look like a useful technology and such discs are sold in a local store.
>
> What exactly do you want to know?
>
> Since the defect management of DVD-RAMs is supposed to be superior to
> other CD/DVD media they seem to be suitable for backups. And that's
> exactly what I use them for: to backup files I want to be able to easily
> carry with me or store away.


Basically I want to use them as fast portable media, like the old Iomega
ZIP Drives for example.


> Vanilla kernels prior to 2.6.22 contained a limitation in the UDF driver
> which didn't allow you to write files > 1GB. This limitation was a
> workaround for a bug in even older kernels where writing files > 1GB
> could screw your data.
> But since you're on Gutsy this is not a problem.
> Whether previous Ubuntu kernels did contain a fix wrt this limitation, I
> don't know.
>
> What I consider most annoying wrt DVD-RAMs is the fact that most modern
> burners are able to write DVD-RAMs with 8x, 10x or even higher speed,
> but where I live it's next to impossible to buy media certified for more
> than 3x.


Yes, unfortunately I checked the web site of my local store and it has
DVD-RAMs 2x-3x, and my recorder supports 12x for them.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Markus Schönhaber
 
Default DVD-RAM discs

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> Since the defect management of DVD-RAMs is supposed to be superior to
>> other CD/DVD media they seem to be suitable for backups. And that's
>> exactly what I use them for: to backup files I want to be able to easily
>> carry with me or store away.
>
> Basically I want to use them as fast portable media, like the old Iomega
> ZIP Drives for example.
>
>> What I consider most annoying wrt DVD-RAMs is the fact that most modern
>> burners are able to write DVD-RAMs with 8x, 10x or even higher speed,
>> but where I live it's next to impossible to buy media certified for more
>> than 3x.
>
> Yes, unfortunately I checked the web site of my local store and it has
> DVD-RAMs 2x-3x, and my recorder supports 12x for them.

Well, in that case it depends on what you mean with "fast" in "fast
portable media" above. Writing at 3x isn't exactly what I'd call
"lightning fast". OTOH the kernel does a pretty good job at buffering
writes, which makes things quite acceptable for me.
Reading I'd indeed call fast, though.
So, unless you expect to be able to eject the disk 2 seconds after you
started copying a few 100 MB to it, you probably should give the
DVD-RAMs a try. The data safety might be worth it.

Regards
mks

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default DVD-RAM discs

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
> Well, in that case it depends on what you mean with "fast" in "fast
> portable media" above. Writing at 3x isn't exactly what I'd call
> "lightning fast". OTOH the kernel does a pretty good job at buffering
> writes, which makes things quite acceptable for me.
> Reading I'd indeed call fast, though.
> So, unless you expect to be able to eject the disk 2 seconds after you
> started copying a few 100 MB to it, you probably should give the
> DVD-RAMs a try. The data safety might be worth it.


I wonder why this technology hasn't caught up yet. It needs no DVD
burning software, all data verification is hardware based (from the DVD
recorder). No K3B or other DVD software packs.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org