Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Paul Sladen

Default delete .Trash (or anything else) in (read-only mounted) USB sticks

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, oxy wrote:
> I wanna delete this .Trash from my usb stick:
> Read-only file system

I suspect that the filesystem on the USB stick is corrupted.

In this case, Ubuntu will only allow read-only access, to avoid any
additional damage occuring to what is already on there. This is the
meaning of the 'errors=remount-ro' you will see if you run 'mount' on
its own without any parameters.

You can try to force the USB sticked to be remounted read-write with
something like:

mount -o remount,rw /media/xxx/

and this will then enable the deleting of material stored on the USB
('/.Trash' included). However at this point, if it's a corrupted
filesystem you probably want to acquire a new USB stick and copy over
the important stuff.

-Paul

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Paul Sladen <ubuntu@paul.sladen.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, oxy wrote:
>> I wanna delete this .Trash from my usb stick:
>> Read-only file system
>
> I suspect that the filesystem on the USB stick is corrupted.
>
> In this case, Ubuntu will only allow read-only access, to avoid any
> additional damage occuring to what is already on there. This is the
> meaning of the 'errors=remount-ro' you will see if you run 'mount' on
> its own without any parameters.
>
> You can try to force the USB sticked to be remounted read-write with
> something like:
>
> mount -o remount,rw /media/xxx/
>
> and this will then enable the deleting of material stored on the USB
> ('/.Trash' included). However at this point, if it's a corrupted
> filesystem you probably want to acquire a new USB stick and copy over
> the important stuff.
>
> -Paul

Such corruption need not be fatal. Most such sticks come with Windows
formatting. Windows has repair utilities, and Linux may as well. In
any event, you do not need to trash it. You can just copy stuff off
of it and reformat like any other drive, to vfat, ntfs, ext{2,3,4} or
whatever.

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Liam Proven

On 14 October 2012 20:40, Paul Sladen <ubuntu@paul.sladen.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, oxy wrote:
>> I wanna delete this .Trash from my usb stick:
>> Read-only file system
>
> I suspect that the filesystem on the USB stick is corrupted.
>
> In this case, Ubuntu will only allow read-only access, to avoid any
> additional damage occuring to what is already on there. This is the
> meaning of the 'errors=remount-ro' you will see if you run 'mount' on
> its own without any parameters.
>
> You can try to force the USB sticked to be remounted read-write with
> something like:
>
> mount -o remount,rw /media/xxx/
>
> and this will then enable the deleting of material stored on the USB
> ('/.Trash' included). However at this point, if it's a corrupted
> filesystem you probably want to acquire a new USB stick and copy over
> the important stuff.

(I don't know why this has appeared as a new thread, but anyway...)

I think Paul has hit upon a very good point here. This may well be the cause.

What is the device name of the USB device & where is it mounted? Is it
really (according to an earlier message) /media/xxx?

Can you cut & paste the output of the command `mount' here for us?

If we can work out the device that you are mounting, we can give you
instructions for how to unmount it and then run a filesystem check and
repair upon it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884