-   -   .local not working on wireless connections to netgear router (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/711980-server-local-not-working-wireless-connections-netgear-router.html)

Colin Law 10-13-2012 08:48 AM

On 8 October 2012 21:30, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have recently changed my modem/router from a Linksys to a Netgear
> DG834G v3. Prior to the change I could access other machines on my
> local network using <machine_name>.local. Now, however, I can only
> access machines connected to the router by wired connection and not
> those on the wifi. The command
> avahi-browse -at
> shows the wired ones but not the wireless. I can't see anything
> relevant in the router config (but I may have missed something).

For the record, having now changed to a Netgear DG834G v4 the problem
has disappeared. I presume that it was an issue with the v3. In case
anyone is interested the v4 is much less sensitive to noise on the
line than the v3 (I am a long way from the exchange and am trying to
maximise the line speed) but they both connect at a noticably higher
rate than the Linksys.

Colin