Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Liam Proven

Default installing ati/amd graphics driver blacks out screen on 27 inch imac xubuntu

On 12 October 2012 17:20, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 October 2012 16:49, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > There is a gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode. Is there something I can put after
>> > gfxmode. I changed it to 2048x1024, but still black screen.
>>
>> Start by removing the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if it works.
>>
>> (By "removing" I mean the standard safe practise: rename it to
>> something else, perhaps even move it somewhere else, in case you need
>> to put it back again later.)
>

> Just an FYI, but I had to do:
>
> mount -o remount,rw /
>
> since in 12.04 when you go in to recovery mode and select go to root it is
> read only. I mv'd the conf file to /root and rebooted and that worked.
> Thanks!

Excellent - glad to hear it!

> I tried to use ctrl-alt-f1 to get a console to log in to, but that didn't
> work. I tried all the ctrl-alt-f1 f2 f3, none worked.
>
> How do you get a console when X11 is running?

Hmmm. That *ought* to work, AFAIK. I have only tried Ubuntu on PowerPC
Macs, and then not much - I can't afford a Macintel - so I don't
really know. Perhaps it's something to do with Apple's odd keyboard
layout and the different functions that the function keys perform?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 October 2012 17:20, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I tried to use ctrl-alt-f1 to get a console to log in to, but that didn't
>> work. I tried all the ctrl-alt-f1 f2 f3, none worked.
>>
>> How do you get a console when X11 is running?
>
> Hmmm. That *ought* to work, AFAIK. I have only tried Ubuntu on PowerPC
> Macs, and then not much - I can't afford a Macintel - so I don't
> really know. Perhaps it's something to do with Apple's odd keyboard
> layout and the different functions that the function keys perform?

That's pretty universal and as you said "ought" to work. I'd guess,
given similar behaviour on other machines, that it's not just a
"black" screen, but rather a locked up machine, or at least X locking
the CPU enough so that other key presses are enqueued and still
haven't gotten to yet (and likely never would have).

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Wes James

> I tried to use ctrl-alt-f1 to get a console to log in to, but that didn't

> work. *I tried all the ctrl-alt-f1 f2 f3, none worked.

> How do you get a console when X11 is running?

Hmmm. That *ought* to work, AFAIK. I have only tried Ubuntu on PowerPC

Macs, and then not much - I can't afford a Macintel - so I don't

really know. Perhaps it's something to do with Apple's odd keyboard

layout and the different functions that the function keys perform?

After messing with the video settings again and getting a black screen and fixing again, I have to now run /etc/X11Xreset as there is no xorg.conf file any more after my first move of it to /root/.

After getting the video to work again I tried ctl-alt-f1 ,etc and all the screens are just black, no terminal. *ctl-alt-f7 of course brings me back to a gui login window.
wes

Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 October 2012 20:05, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:

> After messing with the video settings again and getting a black screen and
> fixing again, I have to now run /etc/X11Xreset as there is no xorg.conf file
> any more after my first move of it to /root/.
>
> After getting the video to work again I tried ctl-alt-f1 ,etc and all the
> screens are just black, no terminal. ctl-alt-f7 of course brings me back to
> a gui login window.

OK, question: are you using the Ubuntu-provided proprietary driver,
the one that is automatically installed by the "Jockey" tool -
"Hardware Drivers" or something like that - or are you downloading the
latest AMD/ATI driver from here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

... and installing them manually?

This page:

http://anupam128.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/installing-dual-boot-ubuntu-1010-on.html

... suggests that the direct download is a better option than the
Jockey-provided ones.

Also, do you know which model GPU you have? 27" iMacintels come with
either a 4850 or a 4870, apparently.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Wes James

OK, question: are you using the Ubuntu-provided proprietary driver,

the one that is automatically installed by the "Jockey" tool -

"Hardware Drivers" or something like that - or are you downloading the

latest AMD/ATI driver from here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Thanks for this hint - I have it working!
*

... and installing them manually?

This page:

http://anupam128.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/installing-dual-boot-ubuntu-1010-on.html

... suggests that the direct download is a better option than the

Jockey-provided ones.

Also, do you know which model GPU you have? 27" iMacintels come with

either a 4850 or a 4870, apparently.

I got on to another i7 imac and it says the chipset (vi OS X System Info) is AMD Radeon HD 6970M*
wes

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Wes James

I also ran:
sudo aticonfig --initial=dual-head --screen-layout=left
for two monitors with second monitor on the left
wes

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Wes James

ok, what worked was:
sudo aticonfig --xinerama=on
the other command made two desktops (one on each screen) but when I went to move an app to the other window it wouldn't go. *I could move my mouse to the other window.

wes