-   -   installing ati/amd graphics driver blacks out screen on 27 inch imac xubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/711806-installing-ati-amd-graphics-driver-blacks-out-screen-27-inch-imac-xubuntu.html)

Wes James 10-12-2012 03:49 PM

installing ati/amd graphics driver blacks out screen on 27 inch imac xubuntu

There is a gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode. *Is there something I can put after gfxmode. *I changed it to 2048x1024, but still black screen.
Thanks,
Wes

Liam Proven 10-12-2012 03:53 PM

On 12 October 2012 16:49, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode. Is there something I can put after
> gfxmode. I changed it to 2048x1024, but still black screen.

Start by removing the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if it works.

(By "removing" I mean the standard safe practise: rename it to
something else, perhaps even move it somewhere else, in case you need
to put it back again later.)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Wes James 10-12-2012 04:20 PM

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12 October 2012 16:49, Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode. *Is there something I can put after

> gfxmode. *I changed it to 2048x1024, but still black screen.

Start by removing the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if it works.

(By "removing" I mean the standard safe practise: rename it to

something else, perhaps even move it somewhere else, in case you need

to put it back again later.)

Just an FYI, but I had to do:
mount -o remount,rw /

since in 12.04 when you go in to recovery mode and select go to root it is read only. *I mv'd the conf file to /root and rebooted and that worked. *Thanks!
I tried to use ctrl-alt-f1 to get a console to log in to, but that didn't work. *I tried all the ctrl-alt-f1 f2 f3, none worked.

How do you get a console when X11 is running?
wes*