-   -   Intermittent failure mounting /home? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/711755-intermittent-failure-mounting-home.html)

Rich Carreiro 10-12-2012 12:24 PM

Intermittent failure mounting /home?

This is Ubuntu 12.04LTS running the latest Linode kernel.

My /etc/fstab is as follows:

#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/xvda / ext3 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/xvdb none swap sw 0 0
/dev/xvdc /home ext3 defaults 0 2

The problem is that intermittently the mount of /dev/xvdc on /home fails.
Here's the startup script output when that happens:

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
/dev/xvda: clean, 65383/5690496 files, 1438641/5701632 blocks
mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/xvdc
Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
mountall: fsck /home [2041] terminated with status 8
mountall: Unrecoverable fsck error: /home
mountall: Skipping mounting /home since Plymouth is not available

Any ideas what could be going on?

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@rlcarr.com

Steve Flynn 10-12-2012 12:55 PM

On 12 October 2012 13:24, Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:

> fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
> /dev/xvda: clean, 65383/5690496 files, 1438641/5701632 blocks
> mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth
> fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
> fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/xvdc
> Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
> mountall: fsck /home [2041] terminated with status 8
> mountall: Unrecoverable fsck error: /home
> mountall: Skipping mounting /home since Plymouth is not available
>
> Any ideas what could be going on?

boot into single user mode,
umount /home, if it's mounted
run an fsck on /dev/xdc. Hopefully it comes up clean. If not, then let
it correct the errors and write to the disk

Reboot into multi-user mode.

The basic problem is that fsck wants to check the drive for errors,
but something else is using or mounting the disk when it tries to do
so. What that might be, we cannot tell from this output, but making
sure the drive with your data on it is in good health should be the
first step.

--
Steve

Rich Carreiro 10-12-2012 02:47 PM

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Steve Flynn wrote:

>On 12 October 2012 13:24, Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:
>> fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
>> /dev/xvda: clean, 65383/5690496 files, 1438641/5701632 blocks
>> mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth
>> fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
>> fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/xvdc
>> Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
>> mountall: fsck /home [2041] terminated with status 8
>> mountall: Unrecoverable fsck error: /home
>> mountall: Skipping mounting /home since Plymouth is not available

>boot into single user mode,
>umount /home, if it's mounted

When I boot in single user mode fsck runs fine, without
any contention from anything else, and the filesystem is
clean, and /home is mounted automaticallt.

When I go back to multi-user boot the intermittent
failures begin again. They seem to be "streaky". When
there is a problem, it appears to remain problematic
boot after boot until (with no changes in anything I'm going)
it starts being fine, and then will be fine for a while.

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@rlcarr.com

Steve Flynn 10-12-2012 05:19 PM

On 12 October 2012 15:47, Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@rlcarr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Steve Flynn wrote:

> When I boot in single user mode fsck runs fine, without
> any contention from anything else, and the filesystem is
> clean, and /home is mounted automaticallt.

Good.

> When I go back to multi-user boot the intermittent
> failures begin again. They seem to be "streaky". When
> there is a problem, it appears to remain problematic
> boot after boot until (with no changes in anything I'm going)
> it starts being fine, and then will be fine for a while.

Can you please post the output of dmesg or your syslog and indicate
whether the boot we're seeing was clean or had a failure, if it's not
obvious from the output. If there's a great deal of output, you might
want to consider using a pastebin and posting a link to the file.

--
Steve