Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Using telnet on local network

On Thursday 11 October 2012 21:43:51 Rashkae did opine:

> On 10/11/2012 08:19 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or
> > less, with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.
> >
> > However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when
> > compared to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.
> >
> > Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern pc
> > keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?
> >
> > For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
> > machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
> > translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.
> >
> > Is it? And if so, how?
>
> I forget how to do these kinds form things with a pure terminal, but
> these kinds of options seem to be included with the modern GUI terminal
> windows. For example, if you run gnome-terminal, look in your Profile
> Preferences Compatibility tab. (Advanced tab in xfce4-terminal,)
>
> In KDE Konsole, in the Profile Input tab, you want to use "Solaris
> console".
>
> If you want some more under the hood hijinks, see here:
> http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html

Bookmarked, thank you very much.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Put your Nose to the Grindstone!
-- Amalgamated Plastic Surgeons and Toolmakers, Ltd.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Patrick Asselman

On 2012-10-12 02:19, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all;

I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or
less,

with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.

However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when
compared

to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.

Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern
pc

keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?

For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.

Is it? And if so, how?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
REST:
P: Linus Torvalds
S: Buried alive in email
-- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS

Hmmm I vaguely recall having those sorts of problems 10+ years ago,
lol.

Something like

TERM=vt100
export TERM
stty erase ^H

usually did the trick for me...

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 12 October 2012 06:04:45 Patrick Asselman did opine:

> On 2012-10-12 02:19, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or
> > less,
> > with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.
> >
> > However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when
> > compared
> > to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.
> >
> > Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern
> > pc
> > keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?
> >
> > For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
> > machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
> > translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.
> >
> > Is it? And if so, how?
> >
> > Thanks all.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
> > --

> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> > REST:
> > P: Linus Torvalds
> > S: Buried alive in email
> >
> > -- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS
>
> Hmmm I vaguely recall having those sorts of problems 10+ years ago,
> lol.
>
> Something like
>
> TERM=vt100
> export TERM
> stty erase ^H
>
> usually did the trick for me...

Humm, We have a vt100 proggy on the old machine, one I took apart and
rebuilt as a vt220 work-a-like. I'll give this a shot, thanks.

It turns out the authors of the drivewire.jar have been hard at work, and
have some as yet un-published drivewire devices and descriptors that export
the old machines windowing system to the pc, which is completely different
from xterm, and we can now have fairly functional screens from that machine
that are usable on this linux box, and presumably on a winderz box too.

Sounds like I have been busy and missed all the chatter and need to play
catch up.

Thanks Patrick.

> Best regards,
> Patrick Asselman

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
specific."
-- Jane Wagner

Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Ric Moore

On 10/11/2012 08:19 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

Greetings all;

I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or less,
with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.

However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when compared
to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.

Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern pc
keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?

For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.

Is it? And if so, how?

Breathing new life into your Coco again, Gene?? <grins> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 12 October 2012 21:25:28 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 10/11/2012 08:19 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or
> > less, with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.
> >
> > However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when
> > compared to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.
> >
> > Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern pc
> > keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?
> >
> > For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
> > machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
> > translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.
> >
> > Is it? And if so, how?
>
> Breathing new life into your Coco again, Gene?? <grins> Ric

Yep, basically getting a backup done as the main hard drive is getting very
long in the hours dept and starting to suffer from stiction.

But we are doing things on it we never ever dreamed about in 1990. I don't
have it up and running, but one of the guys actually has a simple web
server running on his, so folks can actually browse, and download stuff
from it.

Some very talented people have come on board the coco scene in the last 4
or 5 years, and magic is now being rather routinely done on the old girls.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Androphobia:
Fear of men.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Liam Proven

On 13 October 2012 01:21, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> Breathing new life into your Coco again, Gene?? <grins> Ric

That can't have been an inspired guess. You two know one another?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Liam Proven

On 13 October 2012 02:31, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> Yep, basically getting a backup done as the main hard drive is getting very
> long in the hours dept and starting to suffer from stiction.
>
> But we are doing things on it we never ever dreamed about in 1990. I don't
> have it up and running, but one of the guys actually has a simple web
> server running on his, so folks can actually browse, and download stuff
> from it.
>
> Some very talented people have come on board the coco scene in the last 4
> or 5 years, and magic is now being rather routinely done on the old girls.

Cool! Any links?

The CoCo never really made it big in Europe - the
kinda-sorta-compatible Dragon 32 and 64 were bigger, and they were
minority machines.

But there's amazing, inspiring stuff being done on '80s 8-bitters
these days: I've personally Tweeted from a Sinclair ZX Spectrum that
was connected to the Internet over broadband by an Ethernet adaptor
and a TCP/IP stack. Just incredible.

There's similar stuff on the Commodore 64.

The Acorn BBC Micro now can have 1MB of RAM, Flash storage and a
working USB port.

Got any links to the state of the CoCo art, at all?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 12 October 2012 21:53:00 Liam Proven did opine:

> On 13 October 2012 01:21, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Breathing new life into your Coco again, Gene?? <grins> Ric
>
> That can't have been an inspired guess. You two know one another?

One could be forced to admit that if there is a bottle of Black Jack or an
80 year old automobile involved. Or a certain no holds barred mailing
list.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Americans are people who insist on living in the present, tense.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 12 October 2012 21:56:43 Liam Proven did opine:

> On 13 October 2012 02:31, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Yep, basically getting a backup done as the main hard drive is getting
> > very long in the hours dept and starting to suffer from stiction.
> >
> > But we are doing things on it we never ever dreamed about in 1990. I
> > don't have it up and running, but one of the guys actually has a
> > simple web server running on his, so folks can actually browse, and
> > download stuff from it.
> >
> > Some very talented people have come on board the coco scene in the
> > last 4 or 5 years, and magic is now being rather routinely done on
> > the old girls.
>
> Cool! Any links?
>
> The CoCo never really made it big in Europe - the
> kinda-sorta-compatible Dragon 32 and 64 were bigger, and they were
> minority machines.
>
> But there's amazing, inspiring stuff being done on '80s 8-bitters
> these days: I've personally Tweeted from a Sinclair ZX Spectrum that
> was connected to the Internet over broadband by an Ethernet adaptor
> and a TCP/IP stack. Just incredible.
>
> There's similar stuff on the Commodore 64.
>
> The Acorn BBC Micro now can have 1MB of RAM, Flash storage and a
> working USB port.
>
> Got any links to the state of the CoCo art, at all?

Google for Drivewire, and Nitros9.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Finster's Law: