Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Using telnet on local network

Greetings all;

I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or less,
with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.

However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when compared
to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.

Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern pc
keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?

For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.

Is it? And if so, how?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
REST:
P: Linus Torvalds
S: Buried alive in email
-- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Rashkae

I have an old, old computer that has the ability to converse, more or less,
with the telnet program supplied by out 10-04.4 repo's.

However that machine has huge diffs in the kayboard mapping when compared
to a modern 100+ key pc keyboard.

Is there a place where a translation table that would make a modern pc
keyboard be more compatible with this old machines expectations?

For instance, the pc keyboard backspace key is gibberish to the old
machine, while a ctrl+h works as expected. That is the sort of
translations I'd like to have done automatically if possible.

Is it? And if so, how?

I forget how to do these kinds form things with a pure terminal, but
these kinds of options seem to be included with the modern GUI terminal
windows. For example, if you run gnome-terminal, look in your Profile
Preferences Compatibility tab. (Advanced tab in xfce4-terminal,)

In KDE Konsole, in the Profile Input tab, you want to use "Solaris console".

If you want some more under the hood hijinks, see here:
http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html