Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Alan McKay

Default LSI 3801 JBOD card and Ubuntu 12.04 / 64 bit

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> But from looking just briefly, things seem to be pointing to mpt_sas
> for the 3801 cards... which is why I ask if you've actually tried the
> card in the machine yet. There seem to have been several 3801 models,
> and I couldn't easily find anything about an ES model (thought I did
> find an ER model and an X model).

OK this is fantastic news ... no I have not tried it yet because I
started googling and did not come up with much concrete to tell me
whether or not it would work just out of the box. Wanted to make sure
it would work before putting it in there.

Anyway I'm off now til Monday (away camping all weekend) so I'll try
this out first thing and report back what I find. Sounds like I'll be
a happy camper in any case!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 PM

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But from looking just briefly, things seem to be pointing to mpt_sas
>> for the 3801 cards... which is why I ask if you've actually tried the
>> card in the machine yet. There seem to have been several 3801 models,
>> and I couldn't easily find anything about an ES model (thought I did
>> find an ER model and an X model).
>
> OK this is fantastic news ... no I have not tried it yet because I
> started googling and did not come up with much concrete to tell me
> whether or not it would work just out of the box. Wanted to make sure
> it would work before putting it in there.
>
> Anyway I'm off now til Monday (away camping all weekend) so I'll try
> this out first thing and report back what I find. Sounds like I'll be
> a happy camper in any case!

Well, don't get your hopes up just yet, it's only a suggestion that
"may" work. YMMV, Caveat Emptor and all that.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Alan McKay

So in theory I just put the card in and it will get recognized at boot
if all goes well?

And Ubuntu will just install the right drivers?

Wouldn't that be cool? :-)

Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> So in theory I just put the card in and it will get recognized at boot
> if all goes well?
>
> And Ubuntu will just install the right drivers?
>
> Wouldn't that be cool? :-)

In theory, yeah. If not, after it boots, try loading mpt_sas or
mpt_scsih and see what happens (won't hurt anything to load the
drivers).
Check dmesg after you're booted and look for any messages related to
SAS or LSI or whatever.

you can also use something like lshw:

sudo lshw -C storage

to see if the kernel sees it as well. Assuming the BIOS sees it, you
should see the card firmware loading there.

As for drivers, there are some LSI drivers that are already included
in the kernel by default. This is assuming you're running Ubuntu
Server on the machine, but the Ubuntu Desktop kernel also has the LSI
drivers as well. BUT again, no guarantee, just a shot in the dark.
Everything I could briefly find indicated that at least the newer 3801
models use mpt_sas, I'm hoping the same will hold true for the older
versions of that card. Usually, that's the case, but it's not
guaranteed.