-   -   12.04.1 screwed me ... AMD users take note (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/710975-12-04-1-screwed-me-amd-users-take-note.html)

Ric Moore 10-09-2012 08:19 PM

12.04.1 screwed me ... AMD users take note

On 10/09/2012 04:05 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/09/2012 12:37 PM, Mikie wrote:

Thanks Amichai, Avi, Steve, J,

I will inspect the FGLRX DMESG entries and post.

Is it better (more typically done) to not use FGLRX but use the default
driver?

I have dual monitors and could not get it to spread the desktop until I
did this.

Right, you have to use the AMD driver in order to use your chipset to the
fullest. Then, you have to use their factory supplied setup program to
administer the driver, not the usual desktop monitor config.

I went through a problem like this a few months back.

My solution was to get an nVidia video card. They don't have these
problems, in part because nVidia actually supports Linux (AMD/ATI do
in a half-hearted, haphazard way) and they are highly responsive to
problem reports.

Seems like every week >I< have to google to find the name of the AMD
setup program. And I use nVidia. <swears> "catalyst" ---install that,
use it, no more probs. It's even in the repo. Same thing you had to do
with Windows. Ubuntu screwed nobody. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html