Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Bob Hickey

Default Ubuntu 12.04

Beginners question; What must I do when the screen goes black and reads "ubuntu 12.04 LTS Bob EVO-D510-6MT ttyl? I installed a new OS, and the second time I used it, that's what I got. Thanks much. Bob H.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:40:57AM -0400, Bob Hickey wrote:
> Beginners question; What must I do when the screen goes black and reads
> "ubuntu 12.04 LTS Bob EVO-D510-6MT ttyl? I installed a new OS, and the
> second time I used it, that's what I got. Thanks much. Bob H.

This is a text-mode login screen. It appears in one of the following
circumstances:

* you (accidentally?) press Ctrl+Alt+F1

* you install Ubuntu Server and not Ubuntu Desktop

* there's some bug related to graphics drivers which makes the GUI
unable to start up

Actually, I don't even know if the 3rd option is possible -- IIRC
there's a different screen, warning you about the error and suggesting
options like starting in safe graphics mode. It's been a while since I
saw one of those.

Anyway, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 or Alt+Right several times to get back
to the GUI.

Marius Gedminas
--
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.