Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Rashkae

Default Small (SoHo) LAN, how to manage local DNS etc.?

On 10/09/2012 01:34 PM, Chris Green wrote:

Yes, but the issue now is that Ubuntu 12.04 is *already* running dsnmasq
so running another dnsmasq isn't too clever.

The easiest way to tame Network manager in these situations, is to
simply unintall it (or diable it in system start-up, if you prefer.)

I don't mean this to be an anti-Network Manager spiel.. (I outgrew those
over a year ago.)... NM and all the fancy new tricks it does is magic to
overcome traditional Linux networking config for mobile clients (clients
that are expected to change between networks auto-magically.) However,
for a 'desktop' or server system that is expected to sit where it is, NM
offers little to no benefit (other than a GUI for basic network config.)
If you want to do something that becomes complicated to make work
alongside NM, why not simply remove NM and resolvconf?

Although, in the case you described, simply disabling NM's dnsmasq (as
documented) in favor of your own would be the way to go.. I'm not sure
why you think this is somehow a cludge.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Chris Green

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 11:51:42AM -0600, compdoc wrote:
> > Yes, but the issue now is that Ubuntu 12.04 is *already* running dsnmasq
> so running another dnsmasq isn't too clever.
>
> " Dnsmasq is a lightweight, easy to configure DNS forwarder and DHCP
> server."
>
> Is your Ubuntu 12.04 box running 24/7, and do you have all your clients
> pointing to it for DNS and DHCP?

I currently have a small server (running 12.04 server, no GUI, hence no dnsmasq
run by network manager) which provides DNS and DHCP. Since this server
now does little else (except require my attention to keep it up to date
and configured) I'd really quite like to turn it off. My desktop
machine also runs all the time so I can easily re-point all the DHCP and
DNS clients on my LAN to that instead.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Chris Green

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:28:21PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 01:34 PM, Chris Green wrote:
>

> >Yes, but the issue now is that Ubuntu 12.04 is *already* running dsnmasq
> >so running another dnsmasq isn't too clever.
> >

> The easiest way to tame Network manager in these situations, is to
> simply unintall it (or diable it in system start-up, if you prefer.)
>
> I don't mean this to be an anti-Network Manager spiel.. (I outgrew
> those over a year ago.)... NM and all the fancy new tricks it does
> is magic to overcome traditional Linux networking config for mobile
> clients (clients that are expected to change between networks
> auto-magically.) However, for a 'desktop' or server system that is
> expected to sit where it is, NM offers little to no benefit (other
> than a GUI for basic network config.) If you want to do something
> that becomes complicated to make work alongside NM, why not simply
> remove NM and resolvconf?
>
> Although, in the case you described, simply disabling NM's dnsmasq
> (as documented) in favor of your own would be the way to go.. I'm
> not sure why you think this is somehow a cludge.

Will that disabling of NM survive through upgrades? If so then I agree
it's a not unreasonable way to go.

--
Chris Green