-   -   How does xwindow and the desktop start automatically? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/710548-how-does-xwindow-desktop-start-automatically.html)

Mikie 10-08-2012 03:54 PM

How does xwindow and the desktop start automatically?

After doing the last 12.04.1 update my system no longer boots to my desktop but to a bash prompt.

*

What config files make ubuntu start xwindows and then the gnome or kde?

*

Also how can I remove my AMD driver and use a basic driver?

*

Thanks.

*

*

J 10-08-2012 04:27 PM

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Mikie <kmb@mikienet.com> wrote:
> After doing the last 12.04.1 update my system no longer boots to my desktop
> but to a bash prompt.
>

> What config files make ubuntu start xwindows and then the gnome or kde?
>

> Also how can I remove my AMD driver and use a basic driver?

Instead of starting a second thread for this, why don't you let people
address this issue in your other thread?

To answer the questions though:

1: /etc/init/lightdm.conf
this will give you some older, but relevant info on disabling that if
you really wanted to, but your issue, as stated in your other thread,
is a driver one so you shouldn't need this at all:
http://serverfault.com/questions/19839/ubuntu-prevent-x-from-starting-turn-desktop-into-server

2: jockey-text --list to find the name of the enabled driver:
bladernr@klaatu:~$ jockey-text --list
kmod:nvidia_current - nvidia_current (Proprietary, Enabled, Not in use)
kmod:nvidia_current_updates - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module
and VDPAU library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
kmod:nvidia_experimental_304 - Experimental NVIDIA binary Xorg driver,
kernel module and VDPAU library (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)

Then jockey-text --disable=driver_name to turn it off.