Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Michael

Default GRUB (I think)

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a second hard drive that I salvaged from an
old computer. After misreading some directions, I went to my XP
installation and ran the fixmbr and fixboot programs. Now, I don't have
access to the second hard drive anymore. Is there anyway to correct
this? I really don't having anything on the second hard drive so it
would be no big deal to just reinstall it. But I'd like to try an
alternate route first.

Michael

--
The most effective teacher will always be biased, for the chief force in
teaching is confidence and enthusiasm. - *Joyce Cary*

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Steven Grace

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a second hard drive that I salvaged from an
old computer. After misreading some directions, I went to my XP
installation and ran the fixmbr and fixboot programs. Now, I don't have
access to the second hard drive anymore. Is there anyway to correct
this? I really don't having anything on the second hard drive so it
would be no big deal to just reinstall it. But I'd like to try an
alternate route first.

Yes, it can be fixed although I don't remember the exact steps. You need
to reinstall GRUB. I think you can do that from the Ubuntu Live CD.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with the complete answer.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Nils Kassube

Michael wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a second hard drive that I salvaged from
> an old computer. After misreading some directions, I went to my XP
> installation and ran the fixmbr and fixboot programs. Now, I don't
> have access to the second hard drive anymore. Is there anyway to
> correct this?

I think this page should help:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows>

Nils