-   -   12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/710248-12-04-1-screwed-me-anyone-else.html)

Mikie 10-07-2012 04:48 PM

12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else?

Hey Nice List People,

*

I had just three days ago loaded 12.04 Ubuntu 64 bit Desktop on my ASUS MB, Intel core i7 no problems.

I ran sudo apt-get update and then upgrade no problem.

*

Installed VMWARE Workstation 9 for Linux no problem.

*

Created a few VM's no problem and they all ran no problem.

*

Rebooted many times no problem.

*

*

Well … here it is Sunday and I see the pop up for 107 updates so I foolishly say ok and then it wants to reboot.

*

After the reboot xwindow will not start and I get a text login prompt:

*

*

Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS vplay tty1

vplay login:

*

I can log in but when I sudo startx … I get gobble de gook and lines on the screen.

*

Anyone else with issues on this recent update?

*

*

Amichai Rotman 10-08-2012 01:51 PM

12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else?

It sounds like a Video Driver issue. Try hitting the shift or escape keys while booting and choose the recovery option from the list.

Amichai.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Mikie <kmb@mikienet.com> wrote:

Hey Nice List People,

*

Mikie 10-08-2012 03:15 PM

12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else?

But why did it work with the AMD driver no probkems and not with the update?

*

Something has to be broken in the update.

*

*

Steve Flynn 10-08-2012 03:42 PM

On 8 October 2012 16:15, Mikie <kmb@mikienet.com> wrote:
> But why did it work with the AMD driver no probkems and not with the update?

We can't tell unless you post some of that "gobble de gook" and/or
your dmesg output.

--
Steve

Mikie 10-08-2012 04:08 PM

12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else?

DMESG shows no attempt to start xwindow and there are no errors.

J 10-08-2012 04:15 PM

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Mikie <kmb@mikienet.com> wrote:
> DMESG shows no attempt to start xwindow and there are no errors.

Then Xorg.0.log from where YOU tried starting it with startx? and what
driver are you using? radeon? fglrx?

Mikie 10-08-2012 04:37 PM

12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else?

>Then Xorg.0.log from where YOU tried starting it with startx? and what driver are you using? radeon? fglrx?

Where is that log file?

I am using AMD Radeon and fglrx

5870

Avi Greenbury 10-08-2012 05:44 PM

Mikie wrote:
> >Then Xorg.0.log from where YOU tried starting it with startx? and what driver are you using? radeon? fglrx?
>
> Where is that log file?

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

> I am using AMD Radeon and fglrx

This is probably the problem; fglrx is renown for causing problems.

--
Avi

Avi Greenbury 10-08-2012 05:45 PM

Mikie wrote:
> But why did it work with the AMD driver no probkems and not with the update?

That's something you'd have to ask AMD; nobody else has access to the
source in order to see what it's expecting, or to fix it. This is one
of the downsides to proprietary drivers.

--
Avi

Avi Greenbury 10-08-2012 05:46 PM

Mikie wrote:
> DMESG shows no attempt to start xwindow and there are no errors.

The interesting bit of dmesg's output here isn't the starting of X but
the loading of the module for running the graphics card that would
permit the starting of X.

--
Avi