Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Default 12.04.1 screwed me ... anyone else?

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Mikie wrote:
>> DMESG shows no attempt to start xwindow and there are no errors.
>
> The interesting bit of dmesg's output here isn't the starting of X but
> the loading of the module for running the graphics card that would
> permit the starting of X.

Would fglrx even appear in dmesg? I don't have an AMD/ATI card to try
it with. I know the nVidia driver will but others don't (like the
Intel driver, for example).

Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Mikie

Thanks Amichai, Avi, Steve, J,

I will inspect the FGLRX DMESG entries and post.

Is it better (more typically done) to not use FGLRX but use the default driver?

I have dual monitors and could not get it to spread the desktop until I did this.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Ric Moore

I will inspect the FGLRX DMESG entries and post.

Is it better (more typically done) to not use FGLRX but use the default driver?

I have dual monitors and could not get it to spread the desktop until I did this.

Right, you have to use the AMD driver in order to use your chipset to
the fullest. Then, you have to use their factory supplied setup program
to administer the driver, not the usual desktop monitor config.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/09/2012 12:37 PM, Mikie wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Amichai, Avi, Steve, J,
>>
>> I will inspect the FGLRX DMESG entries and post.
>>
>> Is it better (more typically done) to not use FGLRX but use the default
>> driver?
>>
>> I have dual monitors and could not get it to spread the desktop until I
>> did this.
>

> Right, you have to use the AMD driver in order to use your chipset to the
> fullest. Then, you have to use their factory supplied setup program to
> administer the driver, not the usual desktop monitor config.

I went through a problem like this a few months back.

My solution was to get an nVidia video card. They don't have these
problems, in part because nVidia actually supports Linux (AMD/ATI do
in a half-hearted, haphazard way) and they are highly responsive to
problem reports.

MR