-   -   Bluetooth: why no HS? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/710214-bluetooth-why-no-hs.html)

Steffen Becker 10-07-2012 01:54 PM

Bluetooth: why no HS?

Hi,
sorry for my bad english:
I have a windows PC and a virtual machine with two Ubuntu12.04 systems
in it.
I inserted two Bluetooth 3.0+HS Dongles in the PC and created
USB-filters in the virtual machine for these: as one bluetooth3.0+HS
dongle has two chips inside (one for bluetooth-, one for
802.11g-standard) I created a filter for Bluetooth and for 802.11g
adapter for each of my two Ubuntu systems.
After starting both Ubuntu systems parallel, each of them successfully
recognized the Bluetooth-adapter. Also the 802.11g-adapter was
recognized ("ifconfig" displayed a "wlan"-adapter).
So I tried to send some big data files over bluetooth between these two
virtual Ubuntu systems: This worked well, but only with Bluetooth-speed
(~2MBit/s) !
As I understood, Bluetooth3.0+HS should use the integrated
802.11g-adapter to send bigger data files with ~24 MBit/s.
What could I've done wrong? Why does bluetooth not use the
"Highspeed"-modus?

Regards,
Steffen

PS: I tried it with a 10 MB, 20 MB and 50 MB file (.mp3, .wav & .avi)

Dick Dowdell 10-07-2012 02:00 PM

Bluetooth: why no HS?

[...]

It's very good English!

Steffen Becker 10-08-2012 08:54 AM

Bluetooth: why no HS?

Dick Dowdell schrieb:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Steffen Becker wrote:
>
> Hi,
> sorry for my bad english:
> I have a windows PC and a virtual machine with two Ubuntu12.04
> systems in it.
> I inserted two Bluetooth 3.0+HS Dongles in the PC and created
> USB-filters in the virtual machine for these: as one bluetooth3.0+HS
> dongle has two chips inside (one for bluetooth-, one for
> 802.11g-standard) I created a filter for Bluetooth and for 802.11g
> adapter for each of my two Ubuntu systems.
> After starting both Ubuntu systems parallel, each of them
> successfully recognized the Bluetooth-adapter. Also the
> 802.11g-adapter was recognized ("ifconfig" displayed a
> "wlan"-adapter).
> So I tried to send some big data files over bluetooth between these
> two virtual Ubuntu systems: This worked well, but only with
> Bluetooth-speed (~2MBit/s) !
> As I understood, Bluetooth3.0+HS should use the integrated
> 802.11g-adapter to send bigger data files with ~24 MBit/s.
> What could I've done wrong? Why does bluetooth not use the
> "Highspeed"-modus?
>
> Regards,
> Steffen
>
> PS: I tried it with a 10 MB, 20 MB and 50 MB file (.mp3, .wav & .avi)

> It's very good English!

Thank you!
But as I found out, bluez doesn't even support HS... They will merge it
*maybe* later this year. =(