Old 10-07-2012, 02:52 AM
rikona

Default can't authenticate update

Using 10.04, routinely updated. I just got an update manager notice,
but when I said do it, I get a msg that the updates can't be
authenticated. It's mostly for python and xslt. Why do I get that msg,
and how can I know if is it safe to update?

--
Best regards,
rikona

Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Colin Law

On 7 October 2012 03:52, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> Using 10.04, routinely updated. I just got an update manager notice,
> but when I said do it, I get a msg that the updates can't be
> authenticated. It's mostly for python and xslt. Why do I get that msg,
> and how can I know if is it safe to update?

Try again in a few hours, it may just be a temporary issue with the
repository. If you still get a problem then first google for the
error message but if that does not help then post the exact message
you see.

Colin

Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
rikona

Hello Colin,

Sunday, October 7, 2012, 1:06:50 AM, Colin wrote:

> On 7 October 2012 03:52, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>> Using 10.04, routinely updated. I just got an update manager
>> notice, but when I said do it, I get a msg that the updates can't
>> be authenticated. It's mostly for python and xslt. Why do I get
>> that msg, and how can I know if is it safe to update?

> Try again in a few hours, it may just be a temporary issue with the
> repository. If you still get a problem then first google for the
> error message but if that does not help then post the exact message
> you see.

Tried it again today and it went through OK. Yesterday I tried a few
times over an hour or two, but it looks like that was not a long
enough time.

Thanks very much for the reply. It's nice when problems are that easy
to take care of... :-)

--

rikona

Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Colin Law

On 7 October 2012 18:00, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> Hello Colin,
>
> Sunday, October 7, 2012, 1:06:50 AM, Colin wrote:
>
>> On 7 October 2012 03:52, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Using 10.04, routinely updated. I just got an update manager
>>> notice, but when I said do it, I get a msg that the updates can't
>>> be authenticated. It's mostly for python and xslt. Why do I get
>>> that msg, and how can I know if is it safe to update?
>
>> Try again in a few hours, it may just be a temporary issue with the
>> repository. If you still get a problem then first google for the
>> error message but if that does not help then post the exact message
>> you see.
>
> Tried it again today and it went through OK. Yesterday I tried a few
> times over an hour or two, but it looks like that was not a long
> enough time.
>
> Thanks very much for the reply. It's nice when problems are that easy
> to take care of... :-)

Glad to be of help

Colin

Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Avi Greenbury

rikona wrote:
> Using 10.04, routinely updated. I just got an update manager notice,
> but when I said do it, I get a msg that the updates can't be
> authenticated. It's mostly for python and xslt. Why do I get that msg,
> and how can I know if is it safe to update?

I know that this appears resolved now but, generally, when there's an
error message it's best to post it word-for-word. There's at least
three different ways that an upgrade can break with an error message
that mentions authentication, and the wording of the error is what
denotes which one it was. Without the actual text of the error message
often you'll find your answer delayed by the amount of time it takes
somebody to reply asking for it, you to send the response with the
message and somebody else to read that

--
Avi