Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default GRUB badly broken during upgrade

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 01:24 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> This is what pastebin is for:
>>> http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
>>> also see:
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Pastebin
>>
>> The disadvantage of the pastebin sites is that the uploads are deleted
>> after a period of time whereas pasting the (long) ooutput inline or
>> attaching it preserves all the information.
>>

> I suppose & YMMV, but I'd say that 2-3 years is certainly long enough
> for the problem to be examined and resolved. Example:
>
> <http://pastebin.com/f503f5f43>
> [unr3a1
> By: a guest on Apr 2nd, 2009 | syntax: None | size: 3.71 KB |
> hits: 54 | expires: Never]
>
> http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/528557/
> [Paste from kaushal at Tue, 9 Nov 2010 07:46:05 +0000]
>
> IMO encouraging a poster (and a moderator (Kevin) for this list to boot)
> to post 739 lines (which includes a 38.4KB attachment) rather than post
> to a postbin doesn't make sense & seems rude (to me).

Sorry to offend. I've never had anything that big to post before, and
have never had reason to examine anything in pastebin, and so I had no
habits to cover the situation. Won't happen again.

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 03:21 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The grub menu shows 11 items. Kernels are in normal/rescue pairs
>>> 1,2) Unusable boot to a 3.0.0 kernel. the "linux" line explicitly has
>>> root=/dev/sda7 which may explain its being dead; the drive with a
>>> partition 7 more frequently comes up as sdb, but has been sda in the
>>> past. 3.0.0 is an appropriate kernel for Ubuntu 11.10, which is
>>> what's on sdb7.
>>> 3) "Previous versions" legend line
>>> 4,5) memtest. This operates normally
>>> 6,7) 3.2.0-31-pae kernel. root=UUID of the sdb2 partition. That's
>>> what i'm running now. free(1) shows 8GB ram.
>>> 8.9) as 6&7, but it's the generic kernel which only sees 3 GB ram
>>> 10,11) as 8&9 (generic) an older kernel version.
>>>
>>> I think 1&2 may be fixable if I can get them to use the UUID. In GRUB
>>> 1 I could do this manually. I don't know how to do it in GNU GRUB.
>>> I'm going to ditch 8-11 as useless.
>>
>> I ditched the generic kernels and rebooted. Boot was normal (of
>> course I had to select line 6). Lines 8-11 are still there, which
>> makes no sense because the kernels they refer to are gone. I have no
>> idea how to fix this, but it's not important.
>>
>> What would be much better would be to make lines 1&2 functional.
>> Then it would be nice to swap the contents of 1&2 with 6&7.
>>

> Why don't you just reinstall grub to whichever device(s) you boot to? I
> fail to understand using SuperGrub et al when this list is full of
> advise on how to simply reinstall grub/grub2 from a LiveCD. Ditto for
> checking UUID's.

Short answer: When I did that, I wound up with an unbootable
configuration. Or at least that's what I think happened. It got
pretty confusing with three (four?) different sources of GRUB and not
knowing which one did what. The advice I got here about GRUB did not
prevent that. I had tried installing GRUB from a 12.04.1 live disk
too, and that did not help. What eventually got me back in operation
was a complete reinstall of 12.04.1, while leaving the 11.10
unbootable but present.

Sometimes, "just do it" does not work well.

At the moment I have a system that sort of works, but has a few
quirks like an unbootable install. At the moment, I'm trying to
identify the details what the quirks are without stirring the pot in a
way that will make this unbootable again. I hope that with a better
understanding, I'll be better prepared for any chaos that might
ensue...

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
NoOp

On 10/08/2012 09:47 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM, NoOp ...
>>
>> Why don't you just reinstall grub to whichever device(s) you boot to? I
>> fail to understand using SuperGrub et al when this list is full of
>> advise on how to simply reinstall grub/grub2 from a LiveCD. Ditto for
>> checking UUID's.
>
> Short answer: When I did that, I wound up with an unbootable
> configuration. Or at least that's what I think happened. It got
> pretty confusing with three (four?) different sources of GRUB and not
> knowing which one did what. The advice I got here about GRUB did not
> prevent that. I had tried installing GRUB from a 12.04.1 live disk
> too, and that did not help. What eventually got me back in operation
> was a complete reinstall of 12.04.1, while leaving the 11.10
> unbootable but present.
>
> Sometimes, "just do it" does not work well.
>
> At the moment I have a system that sort of works, but has a few
> quirks like an unbootable install. At the moment, I'm trying to
> identify the details what the quirks are without stirring the pot in a
> way that will make this unbootable again. I hope that with a better
> understanding, I'll be better prepared for any chaos that might
> ensue...

Sorry for being a grump... I'm in the process of updating my well tuned
11.04 desktop to 12.04 (because support for 11.04 goes away Oct 28). Now
I get to spend the next few days getting it back to 'semi' normal.

However,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Reinstalling_GRUB_2
[via the LiveCD terminal]
Should work. If it does not, then you have other issues.

I've only had to use the 'via ChRoot' method once.
'Purging & Reinstalling GRUB 2' (never with GUI - only with terminal - I
avoid Boot Repair like the plauge) if all else.
When you reinstall, be sure to run the 'Post-Restoration Commands'
afterwards.

Here is information on grub rescue that Tom is asking for:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting>