Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Chris Green

Default How to set up static IP in 12.04 and avoid these start-up delays?

I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
all working OK.

However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
appear:-

Waiting for network configuration...
[waits for 40 seconds]
Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
[waits for 60 secodns]

... and then the system finally starts up.

These delays are in the /etc/init/failsafe.conf script and seem to
happen even when the system is properly configured for static IP in
/etc/network/interfaces.

Is there any way I can configure things so they don't happen (apart from
bodging /etc/init/failsafe.conf which seems the wrong way to do it
really).

--
Chris Green

Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:31:54PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
> Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
> all working OK.
>
> However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
> sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
> appear:-
>
> Waiting for network configuration...
> [waits for 40 seconds]
> Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
> [waits for 60 secodns]
>
> ... and then the system finally starts up.
>
> These delays are in the /etc/init/failsafe.conf script and seem to
> happen even when the system is properly configured for static IP in
> /etc/network/interfaces.

You shouldn't be getting any delays if that's the case.

Can you show the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces?

Maybe one of the hooks in /etc/network/if-up.d is broken and prevents
/etc/network/if-up.d/upstart from signalling the system about successful
network configuration? IIRC those scripts are sourced, not executed, so
if any of them has 'set -e' and then an error occurs, the others won't
even be run.

To debug the situation you could create /etc/network/if-up.d/0000debug with

exec >> /var/log/ifup-d.log 2>&1
echo "Running if-up.d scripts for $IFACE"
set -x

and then look at that log file when the server boots.

Marius Gedminas
--
Lost packet, 42 bytes, last seen on a saturated OC3, reward $$$.
-- Eric^2 on Slashdot

Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:31:54PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>>
>> I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
>> Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
>> all working OK.
>>
>> However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
>> sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
>> appear:-
>>
>> Waiting for network configuration...
>> [waits for 40 seconds]
>> Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
>> [waits for 60 secodns]
>>
>> ... and then the system finally starts up.
>>
>> These delays are in the /etc/init/failsafe.conf script and seem to
>> happen even when the system is properly configured for static IP in
>> /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> You shouldn't be getting any delays if that's the case.
>
> Can you show the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> Maybe one of the hooks in /etc/network/if-up.d is broken and prevents
> /etc/network/if-up.d/upstart from signalling the system about successful
> network configuration? IIRC those scripts are sourced, not executed, so
> if any of them has 'set -e' and then an error occurs, the others won't
> even be run.
>
> To debug the situation you could create /etc/network/if-up.d/0000debug with
>
> exec >> /var/log/ifup-d.log 2>&1
> echo "Running if-up.d scripts for $IFACE"
> set -x
>
> and then look at that log file when the server boots.

I'd put that snippet (more or less) into every script in
"/etc/network/if-up.d/" because I don't think that 0000debug'll act on
the other scripts - and it should be "chmod -x"'d.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:31:54PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
>>> Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
>>> all working OK.
>>>
>>> However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
>>> sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
>>> appear:-
>>>
>>> Waiting for network configuration...
>>> [waits for 40 seconds]
>>> Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
>>> [waits for 60 secodns]
>>>
>>> ... and then the system finally starts up.
>>>
>>> These delays are in the /etc/init/failsafe.conf script and seem to
>>> happen even when the system is properly configured for static IP in
>>> /etc/network/interfaces.
>>
>> You shouldn't be getting any delays if that's the case.
>>
>> Can you show the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces?
>>
>> Maybe one of the hooks in /etc/network/if-up.d is broken and prevents
>> /etc/network/if-up.d/upstart from signalling the system about successful
>> network configuration? IIRC those scripts are sourced, not executed, so
>> if any of them has 'set -e' and then an error occurs, the others won't
>> even be run.
>>
>> To debug the situation you could create /etc/network/if-up.d/0000debug with
>>
>> exec >> /var/log/ifup-d.log 2>&1
>> echo "Running if-up.d scripts for $IFACE"
>> set -x
>>
>> and then look at that log file when the server boots.
>
> I'd put that snippet (more or less) into every script in
> "/etc/network/if-up.d/" because I don't think that 0000debug'll act on
> the other scripts - and it should be "chmod -x"'d.

"chmod +x"!!!

Sorry...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Avi Greenbury

Chris Green wrote:
> I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
> Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
> all working OK.
>
> However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
> sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
> appear:-
>
> Waiting for network configuration...
> [waits for 40 seconds]
> Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
> [waits for 60 secodns]
>
> ... and then the system finally starts up.

Is this system running a GUI? I had this problem when I configured my
interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces and also had network-manager
running.

--
Avi

Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Chris Green

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 02:40:21PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 12:31:54PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
> > Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
> > all working OK.
> >
> > However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
> > sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
> > appear:-
> >
> > Waiting for network configuration...
> > [waits for 40 seconds]
> > Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
> > [waits for 60 secodns]
> >
> > ... and then the system finally starts up.
> >
> > These delays are in the /etc/init/failsafe.conf script and seem to
> > happen even when the system is properly configured for static IP in
> > /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> You shouldn't be getting any delays if that's the case.
>
> Can you show the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces?

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns-domain zbmc.eu
dns-search zbmc.eu
dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 195.74.113.58 194.72.0.114

auto eth0

# The USB network interface
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

--
Chris Green

Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Chris Green

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 01:25:33PM +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
> > I have just upgraded a little server system from Ubuntu Server 10.04 to
> > Ubuntu Server 12.04, the upgrade went fairly smoothly and it's basically
> > all working OK.
> >
> > However there is a very annoying delay has appeared in the boot
> > sequence, while the moving dots display during startup two messages
> > appear:-
> >
> > Waiting for network configuration...
> > [waits for 40 seconds]
> > Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration...
> > [waits for 60 secodns]
> >
> > ... and then the system finally starts up.
>
> Is this system running a GUI? I had this problem when I configured my
> interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces and also had network-manager
> running.

No GUI.

--
Chris Green

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 02:40:21PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>
>> Can you show the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.1.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 192.168.1.0
> broadcast 192.168.0.255
> gateway 192.168.1.1
> dns-domain zbmc.eu
> dns-search zbmc.eu
> dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 195.74.113.58 194.72.0.114
>
> auto eth0
>
> # The USB network interface
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp

1) Your broadcast address should be "192.168.1.255".

2) You don't need to have the "broadcast..." or "network..." lines in
"/etc/network/interfaces".

3) Is "auto eth1" slowing down boot?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
"compdoc"

> dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 195.74.113.58 194.72.0.114

Should you refer to your own machine for name resolution before the others?
Don't think mine list 127.0.0.1 at all, but then I don't run a dns service
on them.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Chris Green

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 08:08:43AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> > To debug the situation you could create /etc/network/if-up.d/0000debug with
> >
> > exec >> /var/log/ifup-d.log 2>&1
> > echo "Running if-up.d scripts for $IFACE"
> > set -x
> >
> > and then look at that log file when the server boots.
>
> I'd put that snippet (more or less) into every script in
> "/etc/network/if-up.d/" because I don't think that 0000debug'll act on
> the other scripts - and it should be "chmod -x"'d.

You're quite right, the 0000debug didn't do any good so I have added the
above (with the name of the script changed) to each script in if-up.d.

... listen to this space! :-)

--
Chris Green