-   -   Starting something from the gnome-terminal (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/709422-starting-something-gnome-terminal.html)

Johnny Rosenberg 10-03-2012 07:59 PM

Starting something from the gnome-terminal

When I start something from the gnome-terminal, then exit the
terminal, that something also exits. How can I prevent that from
happening?

For example:
Open the gnome-terminal
Type something like
$ SomeApp --SomeParameter=Something &
$ exit

What happens is that when exiting the gnome-terminal, ”SomeApp” is
also terminated. I need to know how to start something from the
gnome-terminal that is not ”connected” to the terminal at all.
Any ideas?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

viper 10-03-2012 08:06 PM

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens is that when exiting the gnome-terminal, ”SomeApp” is
> also terminated. I need to know how to start something from the
> gnome-terminal that is not ”connected” to the terminal at all.
> Any ideas?

SomeApplication.sh | wc -l 1>/tmp/1 2>/tmp/2 &

--
+ http://vipertechnology.dyndns.org
+ http://vipertechnology.dyndns.org/cotnact/

Avi Greenbury 10-03-2012 08:08 PM

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> When I start something from the gnome-terminal, then exit the
> terminal, that something also exits. How can I prevent that from
> happening?
>
> For example:
> Open the gnome-terminal
> Type something like
> $ SomeApp --SomeParameter=Something &
> $ exit
>
> What happens is that when exiting the gnome-terminal, ”SomeApp” is
> also terminated. I need to know how to start something from the
> gnome-terminal that is not ”connected” to the terminal at all.
> Any ideas?

The traditional way to do it is to pass it as an argument to nohup
(for 'no hangup'):

nohup SomeApp --SomeParameter=Something &

this will also redirect all output to a file (nohup.out by default).

--
Avi

Patrick Asselman 10-04-2012 09:41 AM

[...]

An alternative may also be to install "screen". This gives the option
of detaching and also reattaching to a screen session.
See some example usage here:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/07/screen-command-examples/

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Phil Dobbin 10-04-2012 10:51 AM

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> When I start something from the gnome-terminal, then exit the
> terminal, that something also exits. How can I prevent that from
> happening?
>
> For example:
> Open the gnome-terminal
> Type something like
> $ SomeApp --SomeParameter=Something &
> $ exit
>
> What happens is that when exiting the gnome-terminal, ”SomeApp” is
> also terminated. I need to know how to start something from the
> gnome-terminal that is not ”connected” to the terminal at all.
> Any ideas?

As has been noted, screen is a good candidate for this.

Also there is tmux &, best of all in my opinion, byobu.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise

Tom H 10-04-2012 11:09 AM

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat@gmail.com> wrote:

> As has been noted, screen is a good candidate for this.
>
> Also there is tmux &, best of all in my opinion, byobu.

byobu uses tmux (by default, at least on ubuserver) or screen as a backend.

Johnny Rosenberg 10-04-2012 02:23 PM

2012/10/4 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As has been noted, screen is a good candidate for this.
>>
>> Also there is tmux &, best of all in my opinion, byobu.
>
> byobu uses tmux (by default, at least on ubuserver) or screen as a backend.

Thank you all for replying. I am sure that solved my problem, although
I didn't test anything yet. Waiting for an application to crash first…
(which I guess won't take very long since most things crash now and
then since I installed Ubuntu 12.04; my crappy nVidia graphics card
driver is probably the reason for that) :P

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ