Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Wade Smart

Default Cant boot from the CD after installing Ubuntu

I have a laptop with XP on it and I finally decided to try 12.04 LTS.
I installed it side by side. Now I cant boot from the CD even when
going into the boot menu.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Avi Greenbury

Wade Smart wrote:
> I have a laptop with XP on it and I finally decided to try 12.04 LTS.
> I installed it side by side. Now I cant boot from the CD even when
> going into the boot menu.

The boot-from-CD function is something that happens far too early for
Ubuntu to have much of an effect on this. What actually happens when
you try to boot from CD? Do you get any error messages? Can you boot
the same CDs on other machines?

--
Avi

Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Wade Smart

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> I have a laptop with XP on it and I finally decided to try 12.04 LTS.
>> I installed it side by side. Now I cant boot from the CD even when
>> going into the boot menu.
>
> The boot-from-CD function is something that happens far too early for
> Ubuntu to have much of an effect on this. What actually happens when
> you try to boot from CD? Do you get any error messages? Can you boot
> the same CDs on other machines?
>
> --
> Avi

After pushing the on button and I see "Hit F10" for
boot order and when I do and select cdrom for the
first choice, you hear the cd drive spin up and then
the screen blinks once or twice and you now see the
initial purpleish screen to choose Ubuntu, ubuntu recovery,
memory test, a different memory test or Windows XP.

You cant at any point boot from the cd.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>> I have a laptop with XP on it and I finally decided to try 12.04 LTS.
>>> I installed it side by side. Now I cant boot from the CD even when
>>> going into the boot menu.
>>
>> The boot-from-CD function is something that happens far too early for
>> Ubuntu to have much of an effect on this. What actually happens when
>> you try to boot from CD? Do you get any error messages? Can you boot
>> the same CDs on other machines?
>>
> After pushing the on button and I see "Hit F10" for
> boot order and when I do and select cdrom for the
> first choice, you hear the cd drive spin up and then
> the screen blinks once or twice and you now see the
> initial purpleish screen to choose Ubuntu, ubuntu recovery,
> memory test, a different memory test or Windows XP.
>
> You cant at any point boot from the cd.

As Avi said, booting from CD takes place in the system's Firmware,
well outside of the Grub or XP Bootloaders, they have nothing to do
with this.

After the system finished POST, it then starts looking through the
boot order (set up in BIOS, or as you mention, by selecting an option
after hitting an F key to invoke the menu directly). So in your case,
what happens is your machine POSTs you hit F10 at the prompt and get a
boot menu. You select the CD drive. The system then spins up the
drive, which you hear. You may also hear the laser being moved back
and forth across the disk as the drive searches for a bootable data
sector.

The screen blinking once or twice could be one of two things... A: the
optical drive does find a bootable sector, tries booting from that and
fails, or B: the optical drive fails to find the bootable sector, and
the blinking is just a product of the system resetting a bit before
moving automatically to the default boot item, which is the HDD in
your case.

So one of two things is happening here, most likely.

1: Your optical drive is bad
2: the CD is bad, scratched or dirty

Beyond that, you may have more deeply involved issues (bad RAM could
also be a culprit) but this all happens outside of the OS and
Bootloader on the hard drive, so they really have nothing to do with
it.

If you have a laptop with XP on it, I'm going to bet it's fairly old,
so a failing or failed CD drive is certainly a likely culprit here.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Wade Smart

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The boot-from-CD function is something that happens far too early for
>>> Ubuntu to have much of an effect on this. What actually happens when
>>> you try to boot from CD? Do you get any error messages? Can you boot
>>> the same CDs on other machines?
>>>
>> After pushing the on button and I see "Hit F10" for
>> boot order and when I do and select cdrom for the
>> first choice, you hear the cd drive spin up and then
>> the screen blinks once or twice and you now see the
>> initial purpleish screen to choose Ubuntu, ubuntu recovery,
>> memory test, a different memory test or Windows XP.
>>
>> You cant at any point boot from the cd.
>
> As Avi said, booting from CD takes place in the system's Firmware,
> well outside of the Grub or XP Bootloaders, they have nothing to do
> with this.
>
> After the system finished POST, it then starts looking through the
> boot order (set up in BIOS, or as you mention, by selecting an option
> after hitting an F key to invoke the menu directly). So in your case,
> what happens is your machine POSTs you hit F10 at the prompt and get a
> boot menu. You select the CD drive. The system then spins up the
> drive, which you hear. You may also hear the laser being moved back
> and forth across the disk as the drive searches for a bootable data
> sector.
>
> The screen blinking once or twice could be one of two things... A: the
> optical drive does find a bootable sector, tries booting from that and
> fails, or B: the optical drive fails to find the bootable sector, and
> the blinking is just a product of the system resetting a bit before
> moving automatically to the default boot item, which is the HDD in
> your case.
>
> So one of two things is happening here, most likely.
>
> 1: Your optical drive is bad
> 2: the CD is bad, scratched or dirty
>
> Beyond that, you may have more deeply involved issues (bad RAM could
> also be a culprit) but this all happens outside of the OS and
> Bootloader on the hard drive, so they really have nothing to do with
> it.
>
> If you have a laptop with XP on it, I'm going to bet it's fairly old,
> so a failing or failed CD drive is certainly a likely culprit here.

Its a newer laptop but I use XP because of preference.
Ive tried several windows cds (xp, vista, win 7) and none
will start up but any ubuntu cd I put in starts up pretty quick.

Wade

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Colin Law

On 4 October 2012 20:58, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> After pushing the on button and I see "Hit F10" for
>>> boot order and when I do and select cdrom for the
>>> first choice, you hear the cd drive spin up and then
>>> the screen blinks once or twice and you now see the
>>> initial purpleish screen to choose Ubuntu, ubuntu recovery,
>>> memory test, a different memory test or Windows XP.
>>>
>>> You cant at any point boot from the cd.
>>
>> As Avi said, booting from CD takes place in the system's Firmware,
>> well outside of the Grub or XP Bootloaders, they have nothing to do
>> with this.
>>
>> After the system finished POST, it then starts looking through the
>> boot order (set up in BIOS, or as you mention, by selecting an option
>> after hitting an F key to invoke the menu directly). So in your case,
>> what happens is your machine POSTs you hit F10 at the prompt and get a
>> boot menu. You select the CD drive. The system then spins up the
>> drive, which you hear. You may also hear the laser being moved back
>> and forth across the disk as the drive searches for a bootable data
>> sector.
>>
>> The screen blinking once or twice could be one of two things... A: the
>> optical drive does find a bootable sector, tries booting from that and
>> fails, or B: the optical drive fails to find the bootable sector, and
>> the blinking is just a product of the system resetting a bit before
>> moving automatically to the default boot item, which is the HDD in
>> your case.
>>
>> So one of two things is happening here, most likely.
>>
>> 1: Your optical drive is bad
>> 2: the CD is bad, scratched or dirty
>>
>> Beyond that, you may have more deeply involved issues (bad RAM could
>> also be a culprit) but this all happens outside of the OS and
>> Bootloader on the hard drive, so they really have nothing to do with
>> it.
>>
>> If you have a laptop with XP on it, I'm going to bet it's fairly old,
>> so a failing or failed CD drive is certainly a likely culprit here.
>>
>> --
>
> Its a newer laptop but I use XP because of preference.
> Ive tried several windows cds (xp, vista, win 7) and none
> will start up but any ubuntu cd I put in starts up pretty quick.

I think we all assumed that it was all CDs that you could not boot
off. Are you saying you can boot off an Ubuntu CD but not off a Win
CD?

Colin

Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Wade Smart

>> Its a newer laptop but I use XP because of preference.
>> Ive tried several windows cds (xp, vista, win 7) and none
>> will start up but any ubuntu cd I put in starts up pretty quick.
>
> I think we all assumed that it was all CDs that you could not boot
> off. Are you saying you can boot off an Ubuntu CD but not off a Win
> CD?
>
> Colin

Correct.
When I have the ubuntu cd in and turn on the laptop, I can hear the
drive spin up and the live cd starts up. I tried it on my old
9.10,10.04 and 12.04. But on my XP, Vista and Win7 cds, it starts to
spin up but goes straight to the initial ubuntu screen where you
choose ubuntu, ubuntu recover, memory test, or Win xp.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Tommy Trussell

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Its a newer laptop but I use XP because of preference.

>> Ive tried *several windows cds (xp, vista, win 7) and none

>> will start up but any ubuntu cd I put in starts up pretty quick.

> I think we all assumed that it was all CDs that you could not boot

> off. *Are you saying you can boot off an Ubuntu CD but not off a Win

> CD?

> Colin

Correct.

When I have the ubuntu cd in and turn on the laptop, I can hear the

drive spin up and the live cd starts up. I tried it on my old

9.10,10.04 and 12.04. But on my XP, Vista and Win7 cds, it starts to

spin up but goes straight to the initial ubuntu screen where you

choose *ubuntu, ubuntu recover, memory test, or Win xp.

That sounds like the correct behavior. If it does not boot once you choose Ubuntu or Ubuntu Recover, then the CD is probably defective or dirty.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Wade Smart

--

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I think we all assumed that it was all CDs that you could not boot
>> > off. Are you saying you can boot off an Ubuntu CD but not off a Win
>> > CD?
>> >
>> > Colin
>> >
>> > --
>>

>> Correct.
>> When I have the ubuntu cd in and turn on the laptop, I can hear the
>> drive spin up and the live cd starts up. I tried it on my old
>> 9.10,10.04 and 12.04. But on my XP, Vista and Win7 cds, it starts to
>> spin up but goes straight to the initial ubuntu screen where you
>> choose ubuntu, ubuntu recover, memory test, or Win xp.
>

> That sounds like the correct behavior. If it does not boot once you choose
> Ubuntu or Ubuntu Recover, then the CD is probably defective or dirty.

I have ubuntu 10.04 on my main computer.
All three of the dics start up fine.
And I might buy that one was dirty but not all three.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Tommy Trussell

>> > I think we all assumed that it was all CDs that you could not boot

>> > off. *Are you saying you can boot off an Ubuntu CD but not off a Win

>> > CD?

>> > Colin

>> > --

>> Correct.

>> When I have the ubuntu cd in and turn on the laptop, I can hear the

>> drive spin up and the live cd starts up. I tried it on my old

>> 9.10,10.04 and 12.04. But on my XP, Vista and Win7 cds, it starts to

>> spin up but goes straight to the initial ubuntu screen where you

>> choose *ubuntu, ubuntu recover, memory test, or Win xp.

> That sounds like the correct behavior. If it does not boot once you choose

> Ubuntu or Ubuntu Recover, then the CD is probably defective or dirty.

I have ubuntu 10.04 on my main computer.

All three of the dics start up fine.

And I might buy that one was dirty but not all three.

*I am confused -- The title of the topic says you cannot boot from the CD, but you are saying you CAN boot from all the CDs. What is the problem again?