Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Wade Smart

Default Cant boot from the CD after installing Ubuntu

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2005
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > That sounds like the correct behavior. If it does not boot once you
>> > choose
>> > Ubuntu or Ubuntu Recover, then the CD is probably defective or dirty.
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> I have ubuntu 10.04 on my main computer.
>> All three of the dics start up fine.
>> And I might buy that one was dirty but not all three.
>>

> I am confused -- The title of the topic says you cannot boot from the CD,
> but you are saying you CAN boot from all the CDs. What is the problem again?

I can only boot from a ubuntu cd.
I need to install Win7 on this laptop.
I cannot boot from any windows cd.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Tommy Trussell

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

>> --

>> Registered Linux User: #480675

>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606

>> Linux since June 2005

>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> > That sounds like the correct behavior. If it does not boot once you

>> > choose

>> > Ubuntu or Ubuntu Recover, then the CD is probably defective or dirty.

>> > --

>> I have ubuntu 10.04 on my main computer.

>> All three of the dics start up fine.

>> And I might buy that one was dirty but not all three.

> I am confused -- The title of the topic says you cannot boot from the CD,

> but you are saying you CAN boot from all the CDs. What is the problem again?

I can only boot from a ubuntu cd.

I need to install Win7 on this laptop.

I cannot boot from any windows cd.

Maybe the laptop isn't compatible with the disk. For example, nowadays most such disks are DVDs but your laptop may only have a CD drive.

When you bought the disk, Microsoft may have included a phone number or a web address for Microsoft support. Maybe they can help you sort it out.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Wade Smart

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I am confused -- The title of the topic says you cannot boot from the
>> > CD,
>> > but you are saying you CAN boot from all the CDs. What is the problem
>> > again?
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> I can only boot from a ubuntu cd.
>> I need to install Win7 on this laptop.
>> I cannot boot from any windows cd.
>

> Maybe the laptop isn't compatible with the disk. For example, nowadays most
> such disks are DVDs but your laptop may only have a CD drive.
>
> When you bought the disk, Microsoft may have included a phone number or a
> web address for Microsoft support. Maybe they can help you sort it out.

That might be for win7 but for my xp or vista cd.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Tommy Trussell

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> > I am confused -- The title of the topic says you cannot boot from the

>> > CD,

>> > but you are saying you CAN boot from all the CDs. What is the problem

>> > again?

>> > --

>> I can only boot from a ubuntu cd.

>> I need to install Win7 on this laptop.

>> I cannot boot from any windows cd.

> Maybe the laptop isn't compatible with the disk. For example, nowadays most

> such disks are DVDs but your laptop may only have a CD drive.

> When you bought the disk, Microsoft may have included a phone number or a

> web address for Microsoft support. Maybe they can help you sort it out.

That might be for win7 but for my xp or vista cd.

All I know to do is check the boot order on your BIOS to load the optical disk before anything else. I would think it would work pretty much the same as an Ubuntu disk, HOWEVER I haven't tried to boot a Windows disk in years so maybe others can supply some more relevant wisdom.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Wade Smart

> All I know to do is check the boot order on your BIOS to load the optical
> disk before anything else. I would think it would work pretty much the same
> as an Ubuntu disk, HOWEVER I haven't tried to boot a Windows disk in years
> so maybe others can supply some more relevant wisdom.
>

> --

Yea, did that. Thats why Im still stuck.
I dont know why a ubuntu cd would boot right
through and a windows cd cant.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Tommy Trussell

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

> All I know to do is check the boot order on your BIOS to load the optical

> disk before anything else. I would think it would work pretty much the same

> as an Ubuntu disk, HOWEVER I haven't tried to boot a Windows disk in years

> so maybe others can supply some more relevant wisdom.

> --

Yea, did that. Thats why Im still stuck.

I dont know why a ubuntu cd would boot right

through and a windows cd cant.

It may be a BIOS bug. See:*

If there's nothing you need on the drive I would try using the Ubuntu CD to wipe the partition table and try the Windows disk again.
Once you get Windows installed, you might check for a BIOS update at your manufacturer's web site. (Most of the time it's difficult to install a BIOS update in an Ubuntu-only system.)

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Doug

All I know to do is check the boot order on your BIOS to load the optical
disk before anything else. I would think it would work pretty much the same
as an Ubuntu disk, HOWEVER I haven't tried to boot a Windows disk in years
so maybe others can supply some more relevant wisdom.

--

Yea, did that. Thats why Im still stuck.
I dont know why a ubuntu cd would boot right
through and a windows cd cant.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Have you tried to boot the Windows disks on another computer?
Maybe they were damaged.

--doug

Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Wade Smart

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 10/04/2012 10:23 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>>>
>>> All I know to do is check the boot order on your BIOS to load the optical
>>> disk before anything else. I would think it would work pretty much the
>>> same
>>> as an Ubuntu disk, HOWEVER I haven't tried to boot a Windows disk in
>>> years
>>> so maybe others can supply some more relevant wisdom.
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> Yea, did that. Thats why Im still stuck.
>> I dont know why a ubuntu cd would boot right
>> through and a windows cd cant.
>>

>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2005
>>
> Have you tried to boot the Windows disks on another computer?
> Maybe they were damaged.
>
> --doug
>
> --
> Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
> --A.M. Greeley

Ill read up on that bug.
Yes, all the windows cd's booted fine on my other
laptop and my desktop. My other laptop is running
windows and my desktop is running 10.04.