-   -   Replace Unity with LXDE? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/709365-replace-unity-lxde.html)

John Hupp 10-03-2012 03:56 PM

Replace Unity with LXDE?

I have been trying very hard for
several months to get a Lubuntu + LTSP network running smoothly,
but have run into one problem after the next with various
applications not working right in this environment.* I have
filed the bug reports and worked with the Lubuntu mail-list
support, but success is not yet within sight on half or more of
the issues despite everyone's efforts.

I also have an Edubuntu + LTSP test network, and I observe that
a number of these problems don't appear on it.

However, Edubuntu is a MUCH slower performer.* I also don't need
the educational array.

I understand that in substantial part, Lubuntu is Ubuntu except
with LXDE instead of Unity for the desktop environment, and add
to that a selection of lighter-weight apps than many of the
selections for Ubuntu.* (And Edubuntu is Ubuntu + the
educational apps.)

Not only that, but Ubuntu has a distro integrated with LTSP, and
also has LTS support.

So I'm now wondering if I could get Lubuntu-like performance and
fewer problems to deal with by starting with Ubuntu, replacing
Unity with LXDE, and installing some of the lighter-weight apps.

Or is it likely that most of the app problems will follow
LXDE?**

If LXDE-replaces-Unity-on-Ubuntu seems like a solution, how hard
is it to do that?

Or if that is a bona fide guru exercise, is there another change
that will get me most of the way to the goal?

Matt Johnson 10-06-2012 06:53 AM

Replace Unity with LXDE?

Very interesting. We run a 64 workstation Ubuntu 10.04 LTSP install in our school. It's great and we're looking to update it to get more recent software (e.g. the new way Firefox updates are handled in 12.04, newer flash by default, make better use of fat-clients etc.).

I'm in exactly the same position as you describe... I'm trying to find something lighter than the full Ubuntu default, but that also works reasonably*seamlessly. I plan to try 'gnome fallback' in 12.04 - I *think* it will be lighter in terms of RAM on the client and/or server, though probably not by much, and also will not make the size of the actual image smaller as far as I can see.*

(A show-stopper for not using Unity 2d is the lack of customisation of the icons on the dock (launcher?) that the system admin can make for our 240 7-10 year old users. Removing and adding icons to the launcher in Unity for all users seems non-trivial - it's not just a text file somewhere, like for example controlling the menu is in openbox). A real shame for us and is a strong reason we won't be adopting Unity at the moment.)

I also plan to test ubuntu 12.04 default install with lxde installed afterwards as you describe. Again, the image size won't shrink but perhaps the RAM requirement will? I'm also considering an openbox, tint2, nitrogen, thunar combination as found in a default Crunchbang linux install. That's very light and might sit nicely on Debian. I suspect though that a default Ubuntu install does a lot of the heavy lifting for setting up some really nice features in LTSP (like flawless sound, local mounting of usb etc.), so we will probably enjoy those benefits and stick with 12.04. I *think* that installing Debian or Crunchbang as the ltsp server would experience a lot of the same issues you describe with lubuntu. I think there's a lot of value-add in Ubuntu for LTSP. I might be wrong.

Perhaps we should communicate our findings as we proceed? Perhaps this mailing list isn't ideal. I suggest the ltsp list?

I'll be very interested to hear where you end up with this.

All the best,

--
Matt