-   -   Unity gone after installing Nvidia driver on 12.10 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/709225-unity-gone-after-installing-nvidia-driver-12-10-a.html)

"Murat D. Kadirov" 10-03-2012 05:56 AM

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 12:03:56AM -0500, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> Hi,
> I got the Thinkpad T430s with the Nvidia Optimus graphics card today
> and first thing I tried to do was install the latest 12.10 beta on it.
> Everything came up fine but I noticed that the graphics card was
> defaulting to Unknown so I installed the latest Nvidia driver from the
> repository. Upon restart I was able to log into my desktop but found
> that Unity is now gone. No Unity, Launcher, or Dash. Looking at the
> Xorg.0.log I don't see the Nvidia driver loading, just the Intel driver
> as before but Unity as a whole is gone.
> Any ideas?
> Avi

Perhaps, you have changed video card in BIOS/EFI? Try explicitly point
Intel or Optimus, not both in BIOS/EFI.

--
Murat D. Kadirov
PGP fingerprint: 3081 EBFA 5CB9 BD24 4DB6 76EE 1B97 0A0E CEC0 6AA0

Avi Schwartz 10-03-2012 01:13 PM

Unity gone after installing Nvidia driver on 12.10

Yes, I tried this but it made no difference. It seems to me that
installing the Nvidia driver changed some configuration that causes Unity
to stop working. I also ran the compiz manager to make sure that the Unity
plugin is enabled.

Avi