Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Marek Pawinski

Default High CPU usuage on any video player

Hi,

I have a separate /home partition.

I had 12.04 amd64 installed not too long ago, worked fine on this laptop.

At a remote location i stuffed something up and only had Linux Mint with
me, so i installed Linux Mint and used it for a while.

Now at another remote location i decided to install 12.04.1 amd64 fresh
keeping my /home unformatted. 3.2.0-31-generic

I find 12.04.1 very sluggish and totem, vlc, smplayer etc show 75C as
per sensors & totem eventually causes my CPU temp to jump to 100C as do
the others.

This is with a Nautilus, browsers & Thunderbird running:

sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +65.0C (crit = +256.0C)
temp2: +62.0C (crit = +105.0C)
temp3: +54.0C (crit = +105.0C)
temp4: +31.5C (crit = +105.0C)
temp5: +60.0C (crit = +110.0C)

This is with totem running:

28192 marek 20 0 1515m 79m 42m S 64 4.0 2:35.42 totem

sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +75.0C (crit = +256.0C)