Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Wade Smart

Default Can a app from a site access your fb contacts?

Is it possible for a app on facebook or for that matter, any site to access
your contacts in say Gmail or Yahoo on linux?

The reason I ask is, about two months ago I noticed one of my friends
email was sending out spam. I notified her. She changed the password.
A week later - same thing. Then another friend and then another friend.

One of my friends has a goofy name on one of her email accounts. Only
a few people have that account as we use it for private communication.

The spam emails each have in the reply-to field my friends name. Now, I
noticed that on facebook one of my friends has his name purposely
misspelled and in spam emails I get - its the same way though in his
real email account - its not misspelled.

All of the spam emails are from yahoo accounts - and most of these
people do not have a yahoo acct. Only one of these people are in my
yahoo account but not with their current married name.

So maybe Im just being a little paranoid but, Im hoping something
hasnt found a way to scrape names from fb and spam people. If
some type of spyware or virus has found a way to operate in Ubuntu,
I dont want some crazy crap going down on my system.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Bradley Hieber

Email are harvested and sold, them spammers can spoof an email "to"
address and send in bulk to other harvested emails.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Wade Smart

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Bradley Hieber <mercsniper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Email are harvested and sold, them spammers can spoof an email "to"
> address and send in bulk to other harvested emails.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 2, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Wade Smart <wade@wadesmart.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible for a app on facebook or for that matter, any site to access
>> your contacts in say Gmail or Yahoo on linux?
>>
>> The reason I ask is, about two months ago I noticed one of my friends
>> email was sending out spam. I notified her. She changed the password.
>> A week later - same thing. Then another friend and then another friend.
>>
>> One of my friends has a goofy name on one of her email accounts. Only
>> a few people have that account as we use it for private communication.
>>
>> The spam emails each have in the reply-to field my friends name. Now, I
>> noticed that on facebook one of my friends has his name purposely
>> misspelled and in spam emails I get - its the same way though in his
>> real email account - its not misspelled.
>>
>> All of the spam emails are from yahoo accounts - and most of these
>> people do not have a yahoo acct. Only one of these people are in my
>> yahoo account but not with their current married name.
>>
>> So maybe Im just being a little paranoid but, Im hoping something
>> hasnt found a way to scrape names from fb and spam people. If
>> some type of spyware or virus has found a way to operate in Ubuntu,
>> I dont want some crazy crap going down on my system.
>>
>> Wade
>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2004
>> http://linuxcounter.net/cert/480675.png
>>
>> --

Yea, they can be harvested but, these arent email address we
are talking about. Its very specific names used with many random
emails. Like for example if I used "wAde smart" on fb, I would be
getting emails from "wAde smart" but the email addresses are all
different like - ;alsjden@yahoo.com or some gobbly gook.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Ric Moore

Email are harvested and sold, them spammers can spoof an email "to"
address and send in bulk to other harvested emails.

I was having problems like that with gmail, until I used their double
password setup and never had another problem. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Patrick Asselman

[...]

Does any of this apply?
http://www.facebook.com/help/217854714899185/

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Wade Smart

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Patrick Asselman <iceblink@seti.nl> wrote:
> On 2012-10-02 23:39, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible for a app on facebook or for that matter, any site to
>> access
>> your contacts in say Gmail or Yahoo on linux?
>>
>> The reason I ask is, about two months ago I noticed one of my friends
>> email was sending out spam. I notified her. She changed the password.
>> A week later - same thing. Then another friend and then another friend.
>>
>> One of my friends has a goofy name on one of her email accounts. Only
>> a few people have that account as we use it for private communication.
>>
>> The spam emails each have in the reply-to field my friends name. Now, I
>> noticed that on facebook one of my friends has his name purposely
>> misspelled and in spam emails I get - its the same way though in his
>> real email account - its not misspelled.
>>
>> All of the spam emails are from yahoo accounts - and most of these
>> people do not have a yahoo acct. Only one of these people are in my
>> yahoo account but not with their current married name.
>>
>> So maybe Im just being a little paranoid but, Im hoping something
>> hasnt found a way to scrape names from fb and spam people. If
>> some type of spyware or virus has found a way to operate in Ubuntu,
>> I dont want some crazy crap going down on my system.
>>
>> Wade
>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2004
>> http://linuxcounter.net/cert/480675.png
>

> Does any of this apply?
> http://www.facebook.com/help/217854714899185/
>
> Best regards,
> Patrick Asselman

I have a double password on my account too. Its not coming
from me but to me.

I read that fb page and it doesnt apply.

Im keeping track of them messages because I dont want to be
the one responsible for causing something and, if Im not, I want
to be on top of whatever the problem is.

But I think I got my answer about it not being a linux thing.
I just wanted to make sure ;D

Thanks

wade