-   -   xfce4 install (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/708953-xfce4-install.html)

thufir 10-02-2012 04:27 AM

xfce4 install

As per:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

I've installed xubuntu-desktop (as well as xfce4) but cannot log into
xfce, it just bounces me back to the login GUI. LXDE works fine.

Also, when I search for "xf" packages, everything listed shows as
installed.

Is there a log which would be useful?

I poked through /var/log/syslog but nothing seemed obviously related to
xfce to me.

thanks,

Thufir

Art Edwards 10-02-2012 05:33 AM

xfce4 install

On 10/01/2012 10:27 PM, thufir wrote:
> As per:
>
> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce
>
> I've installed xubuntu-desktop (as well as xfce4) but cannot log into
> xfce, it just bounces me back to the login GUI. LXDE works fine.
>
> Also, when I search for "xf" packages, everything listed shows as
> installed.
>
> Is there a log which would be useful?
>
> I poked through /var/log/syslog but nothing seemed obviously related to
> xfce to me.
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

Which distribution?

thufir 10-02-2012 05:45 AM

xfce4 install

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:33:12 -0600, Art Edwards wrote:

> On 10/01/2012 10:27 PM, thufir wrote:
>> As per:
>>
>> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce
>>
>> I've installed xubuntu-desktop (as well as xfce4) but cannot log into
>> xfce, it just bounces me back to the login GUI. LXDE works fine.
[..]
> Which distribution?

12.04 from the "minimal" disc.

-Thufir

Art Edwards 10-02-2012 06:03 AM

xfce4 install

On 10/01/2012 11:45 PM, thufir wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:33:12 -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
>
>> On 10/01/2012 10:27 PM, thufir wrote:
>>> As per:
>>>
>>> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce
>>>
>>> I've installed xubuntu-desktop (as well as xfce4) but cannot log into
>>> xfce, it just bounces me back to the login GUI. LXDE works fine.
> [..]
>> Which distribution?
>
> 12.04 from the "minimal" disc.
>

> -Thufir

FWIW, I have been running xfce under 12.04 on my netbook without
problems. Have you tried logging into an xfce, rather than xubuntu,
session? Just a shot in the dark. I'm attaching a list of all xfce
packages installed on my machine. You can generate with

dpkg -l | grep xfce > xfce.dat

Art Edwards