-   -   can't run gnome as root - addition (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/708798-cant-run-gnome-root-addition.html)

"Lentes, Bernd" 10-01-2012 03:28 PM

can't run gnome as root - addition

Sorry, i forgot: i'm running LTS 64bit.

Bernd

for administrative purpose i need to run Gnome being root. I installed all the gnome packets (a lot), and can login as a normal user.
When i try to logon as root, it seems that login is possible. I have a turning wheel but ... that's all. After half an hour i gave up.
I know that it's not recommended to run GUI as root, but i need it.

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax: +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wir sollten nicht den Tod fürchten, sondern
das schlechte Leben

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671

Luan Pham 10-01-2012 04:40 PM

On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 17:28 +0200, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> Sorry, i forgot: i'm running LTS 64bit.

try:
$sudo passwd root - to enable root

and:

$sudo passwd -l root - to disable root account.

NoOp 10-01-2012 05:26 PM

On 10/01/2012 08:28 AM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> Sorry, i forgot: i'm running LTS 64bit.
>
> Bernd
>
> ================================================== =======================
>

> Hi,
>
> for administrative purpose i need to run Gnome being root. I installed all the gnome packets (a lot), and can login as a normal user.
> When i try to logon as root, it seems that login is possible. I have a turning wheel but ... that's all. After half an hour i gave up.
> I know that it's not recommended to run GUI as root, but i need it.

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo>

You might want to bookmark these:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions>

"Lentes, Bernd" 10-01-2012 07:30 PM

Luan wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 17:28 +0200, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> > Sorry, i forgot: i'm running LTS 64bit.
>
> try:
> $sudo passwd root - to enable root
>
> and:
>
> $sudo passwd -l root - to disable root account.

Hi,

i did this already. But logging on Gnome using the root account didn't suceed. After logging on I have a turning wheel for half an hour, than I gave up.

Bernd

Tom H 10-02-2012 01:12 AM

can't run gnome as root - addition

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Lentes, Bernd
<bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:
> Luan wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 17:28 +0200, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, i forgot: i'm running LTS 64bit.
>>
>> try:
>>
>> $sudo passwd root - to enable root
>>
>> and:
>>
>> $sudo passwd -l root - to disable root account.
>
> i did this already. But logging on Gnome using the root account
> didn't suceed. After logging on I have a turning wheel for half an
> hour, than I gave up.

Enabling the root user won't be enough. You're going to have to change
LightDM (assuming that this is your DM) preferences and possibly pam
preferences too.

Why can't you use sudo/gksudo/pkexec as NoOp suggested?

"Lentes, Bernd" 10-02-2012 09:14 AM

Thom wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Lentes, Bernd
> <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:
> > Luan wrote:

> >> try:
> >>
> >> $sudo passwd root - to enable root
> >>
> >> and:
> >>
> >> $sudo passwd -l root - to disable root account.
> >
> > i did this already. But logging on Gnome using the root account
> > didn't suceed. After logging on I have a turning wheel for half an
> > hour, than I gave up.
>
> Enabling the root user won't be enough. You're going to have to change
> LightDM (assuming that this is your DM) preferences and possibly pam
> preferences too.
>
> Why can't you use sudo/gksudo/pkexec as NoOp suggested?

Hi,

i'd like to use Gnome. Why i don't use sudo ? Because i'm used to not use it.
I'm using Suse boxes for more than 10 years, and Suse does not make this sudo staff.
But now i have one piece of software for which i get only support running on Ubunto or Centos.
I decided für Ubuntu.
One argument for not logging on as root is the argument, that you can easily make heavy errors.
Well, i'm not using Ubuntu and Suse as a desktop environment, for this purpose i use Windows.
So, when i log in in a linux box, it's just for administrative purpose.
When i'm causing trouble, it's my problem. I know that.
On my suse boxes, i do 95% of my administrative tasks using a shell, not having a DM.
But i'm new to Ubuntu, so in the beginning it's likely that i want use the DM from time to time.
When i'm used to Ubuntu, the DM will be uninstalled.

Colin Law 10-02-2012 09:22 AM

can't run gnome as root - addition

On 2 October 2012 10:14, Lentes, Bernd
<bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Thom wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Lentes, Bernd
>> <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

>> > i did this already. But logging on Gnome using the root account
>> > didn't suceed. After logging on I have a turning wheel for half an
>> > hour, than I gave up.
>>
>> Enabling the root user won't be enough. You're going to have to change
>> LightDM (assuming that this is your DM) preferences and possibly pam
>> preferences too.
>>
>> Why can't you use sudo/gksudo/pkexec as NoOp suggested?
>>

> Hi,
>
> i'd like to use Gnome. Why i don't use sudo ? Because i'm used to not use it.
> I'm using Suse boxes for more than 10 years, and Suse does not make this sudo staff.
> But now i have one piece of software for which i get only support running on Ubunto or Centos.
> I decided für Ubuntu.
> One argument for not logging on as root is the argument, that you can easily make heavy errors.
> Well, i'm not using Ubuntu and Suse as a desktop environment, for this purpose i use Windows.
> So, when i log in in a linux box, it's just for administrative purpose.
> When i'm causing trouble, it's my problem. I know that.
> On my suse boxes, i do 95% of my administrative tasks using a shell, not having a DM.
> But i'm new to Ubuntu, so in the beginning it's likely that i want use the DM from time to time.
> When i'm used to Ubuntu, the DM will be uninstalled.

If you are only going to use the DM occasionally then I think it will
be easier to learn how to use sudo and gksu to do what you want than
it will be trying to get the UI to run as root.

Colin

"Lentes, Bernd" 10-02-2012 11:16 AM

Colin wrote:

> On 2 October 2012 10:14, Lentes, Bernd
> <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:
> >
> > Thom wrote:

> for half an
> >>
> >> Enabling the root user won't be enough. You're going to
> have to change
> >> LightDM (assuming that this is your DM) preferences and
> possibly pam
> >> preferences too.
> >>
> >> Why can't you use sudo/gksudo/pkexec as NoOp suggested?
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > i'd like to use Gnome. Why i don't use sudo ? Because i'm
> used to not use it.
> > I'm using Suse boxes for more than 10 years, and Suse does
> not make this sudo staff.
> > But now i have one piece of software for which i get only
> support running on Ubunto or Centos.
> > I decided für Ubuntu.
> > One argument for not logging on as root is the argument,
> that you can easily make heavy errors.
> > Well, i'm not using Ubuntu and Suse as a desktop
> environment, for this purpose i use Windows.
> > So, when i log in in a linux box, it's just for
> administrative purpose.
> > When i'm causing trouble, it's my problem. I know that.
> > On my suse boxes, i do 95% of my administrative tasks using
> a shell, not having a DM.
> > But i'm new to Ubuntu, so in the beginning it's likely that
> i want use the DM from time to time.
> > When i'm used to Ubuntu, the DM will be uninstalled.
>
> If you are only going to use the DM occasionally then I think it will
> be easier to learn how to use sudo and gksu to do what you want than
> it will be trying to get the UI to run as root.

Hi,

why do i have to adapt the OS ? I think the OS should adapt to the needs and wishes of the user as far as possible.
I KNOW that it is not the recommended way to login to X as root, but i did it often and never got any problems.
It's my box, and if i'm making an error, it's my problem.
The only error i did happened on a terminal, not in a GUI.
I'm not used to sudo and all ist friends, and i don't like to use it.
In a car the blinker is always on the left side, and no manufactur installed it on the right side, expecting that all the drivers will adapt.
OS like suse, RedHat, fedora also don't use this way with sudo, so it can't be dangerous. I can't imagine that these distributors will provide a inherent unsecure OS.

Mark Widdicombe 10-02-2012 11:38 AM

can't run gnome as root - addition

On 2 October 2012 13:16, Lentes, Bernd
<bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Colin wrote:
>>
>> On 2 October 2012 10:14, Lentes, Bernd
>> <bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

>> for half an

>> have to change
>> possibly pam

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > i'd like to use Gnome. Why i don't use sudo ? Because i'm
>> used to not use it.
>> > I'm using Suse boxes for more than 10 years, and Suse does
>> not make this sudo staff.
>> > But now i have one piece of software for which i get only
>> support running on Ubunto or Centos.
>> > I decided für Ubuntu.
>> > One argument for not logging on as root is the argument,
>> that you can easily make heavy errors.
>> > Well, i'm not using Ubuntu and Suse as a desktop
>> environment, for this purpose i use Windows.
>> > So, when i log in in a linux box, it's just for
>> administrative purpose.
>> > When i'm causing trouble, it's my problem. I know that.
>> > On my suse boxes, i do 95% of my administrative tasks using
>> a shell, not having a DM.
>> > But i'm new to Ubuntu, so in the beginning it's likely that
>> i want use the DM from time to time.
>> > When i'm used to Ubuntu, the DM will be uninstalled.
>>
>> If you are only going to use the DM occasionally then I think it will
>> be easier to learn how to use sudo and gksu to do what you want than
>> it will be trying to get the UI to run as root.
>>

> Hi,
>
> why do i have to adapt the OS ? I think the OS should adapt to the needs and wishes of the user as far as possible.

Of course you have to adapt to the OS. There is a limit to the amount
of configurability it is possible to build in from a practical point
of view.

> I KNOW that it is not the recommended way to login to X as root, but i did it often and never got any problems.
> It's my box, and if i'm making an error, it's my problem.

If you know it's not recommended why do it? sudo is extremely easy to use.

> The only error i did happened on a terminal, not in a GUI.
> I'm not used to sudo and all ist friends, and i don't like to use it.
> In a car the blinker is always on the left side, and no manufactur installed it on the right side, expecting that all the drivers will adapt.

Try Toyota,--had a hire car once and every time I signalled a turn the
wipers came on.

> OS like suse, RedHat, fedora also don't use this way with sudo, so it can't be dangerous. I can't imagine that these distributors will provide a inherent unsecure OS.

Why are you using an OS you clearly don't like, instead of ones that
you obviously perceive as superior?

Jared Norris 10-02-2012 12:18 PM

can't run gnome as root - addition

On 2 October 2012 21:16, Lentes, Bernd
<bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> why do i have to adapt the OS ? I think the OS should adapt to the needs and wishes of the user as far as possible.

It can, it's only limited by what you tell it to do. You are free to
change any/all of the default options provided by the distribution.
They are only that, defaults.

> I KNOW that it is not the recommended way to login to X as root, but i did it often and never got any problems.

Their defaults are apparently set up differently.

> It's my box, and if i'm making an error, it's my problem.

Correct, that is the luxury of linux.

> The only error i did happened on a terminal, not in a GUI.
> I'm not used to sudo and all ist friends, and i don't like to use it.

Again, this is the default way Ubuntu is set up, feel free to change
at your whim.

*Snip*

Now, from the brief research I have conducted it is apparently quite
easy to achieve what you're trying to achieve. I would suggest trying
the second hit on google [0] and letting us know if there are any
issues you encounter.

[0] http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/login-as-root-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

Jared Norris
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris