Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
"Lentes, Bernd"

Default can't run gnome as root

Hi,

for administrative purpose i need to run Gnome being root. I installed all the gnome packets (a lot), and can login as a normal user.
When i try to logon as root, it seems that login is possible. I have a turning wheel but ... that's all. After half an hour i gave up.
I know that it's not recommended to run GUI as root, but i need it.

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
Institut für Entwicklungsgenetik
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum münchen
bernd.lentes@helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 89 3187 1241
fax: +49 89 3187 2294
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/idg

Wir sollten nicht den Tod fürchten, sondern
das schlechte Leben

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671

Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Avi Greenbury

Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> for administrative purpose i need to run Gnome being root.

Why? It may be easier to solve the problem in some way other than
bending Gnome such that it'll run as root.

Which version of Ubuntu/Gnome is this?

--
Avi

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Oct 3, 2012 4:21 AM, "Avi Greenbury" <lists@avi.co> wrote:

> Lentes, Bernd wrote:

> > for administrative purpose i need to run Gnome being root.

> Why? It may be easier to solve the problem in some way other than

> bending Gnome such that it'll run as root.

> Which version of Ubuntu/Gnome is this?

> --

> Avi

For security testing for one. This is why Backtrack Linux, which is based on Ubuntu, does run Gnome as root. Otherwise, you just can't do everything you need to easily.

So basically, if you're willing to be a little behind the current release, or you're doing security testing, use something like Backtrack.