Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Steve Flynn

Default hard drive sector testing on Ubuntu

On 10 October 2012 08:44, lazer100 <lazer100@talktalk.net> wrote:

> Device: TOSHIBA MK1059GSM Version: 0100
> Device type: disk
> Local Time is: Wed Oct 10 12:38:08 2012 BST
> Device does not support SMART
>
> Error Counter logging not supported
> Device does not support Self Test logging

According to the tech specs for this drive, it *does* support the
SMART command set -

http://storage.toshiba.eu/cms/en/hdd/computing/product_detail.jsp?productid=364

There's some discussion of this drive and smrtctl here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4D223A5D.1060401%40gmx-topmail.de&forum_name=smartmontools-database

Could try following some of the adive given in that thread.

--
Steve

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
"compdoc"

> Error Counter logging not supported
>Device does not support Self Test logging $ $
>
>I bought this drive in 2011.

It should be capable, but sometimes RAID controllers can prevent it from
working, and also some systems have a bios option to enable/disable SMART.
Not sure why...

Anyway, SMART has two diagnostic tests it can perform even as the drive is
being used by the system: short and extended. I think these tests are more
low-level and better than running tests through the OS, like badblocks or
chkdsk, etc.

The reason I think this is that modern drives constantly examine and record
events during its operation. Every time something goes wrong they record it
in SMART, along with temperatures and age, etc. Some even record when they
been dropped or bumped hard.

And they try to reallocate bad sectors 'on the fly' meaning the OS may never
realize there's anything wrong. One or two reallocated sectors is not too
bad, but if bad sectors continue to grow, (and they often do) at some point
the drive is going to fail.