Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Wade Smart

Default Virtual Box Update Question

If I update virtualbox, will the environment I have be affected?
Do you lose it or have to reinstall?

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Sep 26, 2012 5:19 PM, "Wade Smart" <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I update virtualbox, will the environment I have be affected?

> Do you lose it or have to reinstall?

> Wade

I assume you're asking if the specific virtual machines will be affected? Generally, no. "Environment" in this context is not very clear.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Wade Smart

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, William Scott Lockwood III
<vladinator@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2012 5:19 PM, "Wade Smart" <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If I update virtualbox, will the environment I have be affected?
>> Do you lose it or have to reinstall?
>>
>> Wade
>
> I assume you're asking if the specific virtual machines will be affected?
> Generally, no. "Environment" in this context is not very clear.

Will my Windows installation and all the software I have
be affected is my question. I have programs installed
that I no longer have access to but still need.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 27/09/2012 00:27, Wade Smart wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, William Scott Lockwood III
> <vladinator@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2012 5:19 PM, "Wade Smart" <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If I update virtualbox, will the environment I have be affected?
>>> Do you lose it or have to reinstall?
>>>
>>> Wade
>> I assume you're asking if the specific virtual machines will be affected?
>> Generally, no. "Environment" in this context is not very clear.
>>
> Will my Windows installation and all the software I have
> be affected is my question. I have programs installed
> that I no longer have access to but still need.

None of that will be affected. (Unless a bug in the new VBox actually
prevents something from running - usually not the case.)

Do remember to update the VBox extensions as well inside the VMs so that
they match the VBox version number.

Gilles.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Wade Smart

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 27/09/2012 00:27, Wade Smart wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM, William Scott Lockwood III
>> <vladinator@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I assume you're asking if the specific virtual machines will be affected?
>>> Generally, no. "Environment" in this context is not very clear.
>>>
>> Will my Windows installation and all the software I have
>> be affected is my question. I have programs installed
>> that I no longer have access to but still need.
>
> None of that will be affected. (Unless a bug in the new VBox actually
> prevents something from running - usually not the case.)
>
> Do remember to update the VBox extensions as well inside the VMs so that
> they match the VBox version number.
>
> Gilles.

Thanks.
All updated and mostly working.