Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Thufir

Default install from linux without cd

Following the install guide at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux#Without_CD

how does grub fit into this?

I'll format sda:

thufir@dur:~$
thufir@dur:~$ df -h
/dev/mapper/dur-root 27G 20G 5.4G 79% /
udev 984M 4.0K 984M 1% /dev
tmpfs 397M 840K 396M 1% /run
none 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
none 991M 1.5M 990M 1% /run/shm
cgroup 991M 0 991M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdb1 228M 48M 169M 22% /boot
/dev/sda1 73G 67G 1.9G 98% /media/5f433b3d-1710-4426-
abb6-3193e913bb70
thufir@dur:~$

I need to refresh grub, somehow, so that both sda and sdb are picked up
on boot?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Avi Greenbury

Thufir wrote:
> Following the install guide at:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux#Without_CD
>
> how does grub fit into this?

You need to install Grub from the install you're installing from.

--
Avi

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Thufir

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:50:56 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Thufir wrote:
>> Following the install guide at:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux#Without_CD
>>
>> how does grub fit into this?
>
> You need to install Grub from the install you're installing from.

You mean to copy grub from sdb to sda?

Or like:

# grub-install /dev/hda

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Installation

thanks,

Thufir

Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Avi Greenbury

Thufir wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:50:56 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
> > Thufir wrote:
> >> Following the install guide at:
> >>
> >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux#Without_CD
> >>
> >> how does grub fit into this?
> >
> > You need to install Grub from the install you're installing from.
>
> You mean to copy grub from sdb to sda?
>
> Or like:
>
> # grub-install /dev/hda

The latter. But if it is /dev/sdb you'll likely need to fiddle with
the menu.lst, since when you boot off it in the other machine it'll
probably be /dev/sda (depending on where you put it).

I'm not aware of a neater way of doing it, this has always sufficed
for me. Boot off the disk in the new machine, edit the command line to
boot off the right disk, then update-grub again so it looks in all the
right places.

--
Avi