Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 PM
NoOp

Default was Unity!

On 09/25/2012 10:29 AM, ssc1478 wrote:
> I happen to like the look and feel of Gnome 3. One shortcoming I
> think is the search only searches for programs. I think unity also
> searches for files. Otherwise, it works well for what I need.

Not to worry, when you install 12.10... Ubuntu/Unity not only performs
searches on your local machine, but when you do a (what you think is a
local) search it also 'automagically' sends all of your formerly private
local searches out on the web in plain test to sabfl & amazon.com:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-shopping/+bug/1054776>
[Don't include remote searches in the home lens]
login & click on the 'Does this bug affect you'. It's up to 265 so far...
Other interesting bugs for unity-lens-shopping:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-shopping>
and Edubuntu:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/edubuntu-live/+bug/1055705>
[[UIFe] Please remove unity-lens-shopping package from Edubuntu
installation]

<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/mark-shuttleworth-explains-ubuntus-new-amazon-adware-feature#disqus_thread>
<http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182>
"Don’t trust us? Erm, we have root. You do trust us with your data
already." - Mark Shuttleworth
I also wonder how Ubuntu 'sabfl' knows: "Most of our users use Amazon
anyway"...
<http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/10ca2c/dont_trust_us_erm_we_have_root_you_do_trust_us/>

Old 09-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Jim Byrnes

I happen to like the look and feel of Gnome 3. One shortcoming I
think is the search only searches for programs. I think unity also
searches for files. Otherwise, it works well for what I need.

Not to worry, when you install 12.10... Ubuntu/Unity not only performs
searches on your local machine, but when you do a (what you think is a
local) search it also 'automagically' sends all of your formerly private
local searches out on the web in plain test to sabfl & amazon.com:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-shopping/+bug/1054776>
[Don't include remote searches in the home lens]
login & click on the 'Does this bug affect you'. It's up to 265 so far...

Well it is up to 309 now after I clicked it. The creator of the bug is
correct, it should at the very least be opt-in.

Regards, Jim