-   -   Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my memory? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/707315-there-any-way-i-can-get-access-rest-my-memory.html)

Felix Miata 09-25-2012 07:13 PM

Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my memory?

On 2012-09-25 18:35 (GMT+0100) Graham Watkins composed:

uname -a output: Linux gingecat 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri
Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

According to System Monitor, 3031Mb is available. According to my
bios, 4Gb is installed and 3Gb is usable

Processor: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz

Is this any good for 64 bit?

Be careful trying to upgrade from a P4 to a multicore CPU. Earlier chipsets
typically support Conroe (65nm) but not Wolfdale (45nm), e.g. 965P. With 65nm
E2180 you'd probably be good to go, but not with a much faster 45nm E7500.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

NoOp 09-25-2012 07:44 PM

On 09/25/2012 10:35 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> On 23/09/12 16:13, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> into an email so we can see which kernel you're running? Also, how are
>> you testing for the amount of memory available? And do you know which
>> processor you're running? PAE requires cooperation from the CPU, but
>> it's been a very long time since anybody made a CPU that didn't
>> cooperate properly.
> uname -a output: Linux gingecat 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri
> Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

You are already running the PAE kernel, so you can access up to 64Gib of
memory.

> According to System Monitor, 3031Mb is available. According to my
> bios, 4Gb is installed and 3Gb is usable
And until you change that (see PleegWat's reply), 3GB is all you'll see
- regardless of whether you are running 32bitPAE or 64bit.

Also note that the system monitor reports memory in KiB, MiB, and GiB.
There is a slight difference & has been discussed at length here in the
archives. But the easiest way to see the difference is to use a
calulator like:

<http://www.easycalculation.com/bandwidth-calculator.php>
and have a read through:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix>

The change from base-2 to base-10 came about in Ubuntu with the 10.10
release. Here's a brief info blob regarding that change:
<http://www.neowin.net/news/ubuntu-implements-units-policy-will-switch-to-base-10-units-in-future-release>

Confused yet :-)

<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnitsPolicy>

> Processor: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
>
> Is this any good for 64 bit?

Yes:

<http://ark.intel.com/products/31733/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E2180-%281M-Cache-2_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB%29>

NoOp 09-25-2012 07:47 PM

On 09/25/2012 12:44 PM, NoOp wrote:
> The change from base-2 to base-10 came about in Ubuntu with the 10.10
> release. Here's a brief info blob regarding that change:
> <http://www.neowin.net/news/ubuntu-implements-units-policy-will-switch-to-base-10-units-in-future-release>
>
> Confused yet :-)
>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnitsPolicy>
Sorry, forgot to mention that as a handy reference, you can (in a terminal):

$ man units

and that will produce this man page:

<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man7/units.7.html>

Graham Watkins 09-27-2012 06:22 PM

Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my memory?