-   -   Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my memory? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/707290-there-any-way-i-can-get-access-rest-my-memory.html)

Graham Watkins 09-25-2012 05:35 PM

Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my memory?

On 23/09/12 16:13, Avi Greenbury wrote:

Graham Watkins wrote:

A bit of googling suggested that installing the PAE kernel would
make more memory accessible. This I have done but it hasn't made
any difference.

What did you install, and have you rebooted since? Could you paste the
output of

uname -a

into an email so we can see which kernel you're running? Also, how are
you testing for the amount of memory available? And do you know which
processor you're running? PAE requires cooperation from the CPU, but
it's been a very long time since anybody made a CPU that didn't
cooperate properly.
uname -a output: Linux gingecat 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri
Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

According to System Monitor, 3031Mb is available. According to my
bios, 4Gb is installed and 3Gb is usable

Processor: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz

Is this any good for 64 bit?

I know that I should get the full memory if I install the 64 bit
version but, if I have understood correctly, this would use twice as
much memory anyway, giving me equivalent to 2gb on a 32 bit system,
so I don't really see the point.

You've understood incorrectly, fortunately :) A tiny proportion of
what is in RAM takes up twice as much space as what it would do
otherwise - results and current-states of CPU operations, basically -
but the huge majority of stuff is exactly the same size - all the
cached files and other assorted data. In reality there's such a
marginally small increase of memory usage that it may as well not be
there, especially if as part of the upgrade you get another GB of
memory.

That's good to know. Everyone here seems agreed on that point so I must
have misunderstood. I expect that at some point I'll give 64 bit a try,
although for the time being I'll stick with what I've got because I've
just finished a new install and I'm not really in the mood to go through
that again.

Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers,

Graham