FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Rob Tongue
 
Default Unity!

On 09/25/2012 10:30 PM, Eddie G.
O'Connor Jr. wrote:




On 09/25/2012 05:04 PM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:



Send ubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-users digest..."






Today's Topics:

1. Re: Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my
memory? (NoOp)
2. Re: about networks apps (Amaury Viera Hern?ndez)
3. Re: Unity! (James Freer)
4. Re: Unity! (Cybe R. Wizard)
5. Re: Unity! (James Freer)
6. Re: Quicktime stuff doesn't play (Thomas Kaiser)
7. Re: Quicktime stuff doesn't play (William Scott Lockwood III)
8. Re: Quicktime stuff doesn't play (William Scott Lockwood III)
9. Re: Quicktime stuff doesn't play (NoOp)











Well I myself have tried most of the desktops,
KDE.......LXDE........XFCE........Openbox.......Fl uxbox......Enlightenment...and

of course Gnome (my favorite!....especially the latest version!) I
can say that what I appreciate even MORE is the fact that NO two
users are the same....and that's the biggest "draw" to Linux for a
lot of people. My brother is JUST starting to get interested
enough in Linux that he's asking about installing it.....if his
2003 laptop will be up to the task etc. Anyone care to advise as
to what he should install? I personally don't think it can handle
Unity and Ubuntu.....what's the lightest distro out there?....





EGO II







For a new user with an older laptop... XFCE would be ideal, with
LXDE being a tad lighter, but I am partial to XFCE for ease of use.*




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Steven Davies-Morris
 
Default Unity!

On 09/25/2012 07:51 PM, Rob Tongue wrote:


Well I myself have tried most of the desktops,
KDE.......LXDE........XFCE........Openbox.......Fl uxbox......Enlightenment...and
of course Gnome (my favorite!....especially the latest version!) I
can say that what I appreciate even MORE is the fact that NO two
users are the same....and that's the biggest "draw" to Linux for a
lot of people. My brother is JUST starting to get interested enough
in Linux that he's asking about installing it.....if his 2003
laptop will be up to the task etc. Anyone care to advise as to what
he should install? I personally don't think it can handle Unity and
Ubuntu.....what's the lightest distro out there?....


EGO II



For a new user with an older laptop... XFCE would be ideal, with LXDE
being a tad lighter, but I am partial to XFCE for ease of use.


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with the
1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity whatsoever. I
have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop, 1gb DRAM. Works very
well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
"overfulnoisecascade" prog-ambient-tribal-space CD coming soon

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 AM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Unity!

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
>
> You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with the
> 1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity whatsoever. I
> have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop, 1gb DRAM. Works very
> well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all knew of Ubuntu for years.
>
> <http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>

Link fails.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Steven Davies-Morris
 
Default Unity!

On 09/26/2012 12:22 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with
the 1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity
whatsoever. I have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop,
1gb DRAM. Works very well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all
knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>





Link fails.


Sorry...not from where I am in Southern California. It works fine. Click
and the download page pops right up. Where in the world are you? Perhaps
it is being blocked in your part of the world?

--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
"overfulnoisecascade" prog-ambient-tribal-space CD coming soon

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
CJ Tres
 
Default Unity!

On 09/26/2012 02:22 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with the
1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity whatsoever. I
have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop, 1gb DRAM. Works very
well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>


Link fails.



Firefox and Chromium both block it as a phishing site for me!?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
CJ Tres
 
Default Unity!

On 09/26/2012 05:35 AM, CJ Tres wrote:

On 09/26/2012 02:22 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with the
1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity whatsoever. I
have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop, 1gb DRAM. Works very
well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>


Link fails.



Firefox and Chromium both block it as a phishing site for me!?



edit:
I should have said my DNS server - Open DNS - blocks the site.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Doug
 
Default Unity!

On 09/26/2012 04:42 AM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

On 09/26/2012 12:22 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with
the 1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity
whatsoever. I have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop,
1gb DRAM. Works very well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all
knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>





Link fails.


Sorry...not from where I am in Southern California. It works fine. Click
and the download page pops right up. Where in the world are you? Perhaps
it is being blocked in your part of the world?

Report from Long Island, NY: I snapped on the link yesterday (25th) and
it failed.

Tried it again this morning and it went thru.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Unity!

On 26 September 2012 03:51, Rob Tongue <robtongue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/25/2012 10:30 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>
> Well I myself have tried most of the desktops,
> KDE.......LXDE........XFCE........Openbox.......Fl uxbox......Enlightenment...and
> of course Gnome (my favorite!....especially the latest version!) I can say
> that what I appreciate even MORE is the fact that NO two users are the
> same....and that's the biggest "draw" to Linux for a lot of people. My
> brother is JUST starting to get interested enough in Linux that he's asking
> about installing it.....if his 2003 laptop will be up to the task etc.
> Anyone care to advise as to what he should install? I personally don't think
> it can handle Unity and Ubuntu.....what's the lightest distro out there?....
>
>
> EGO II
>
>
> For a new user with an older laptop... XFCE would be ideal, with LXDE being
> a tad lighter, but I am partial to XFCE for ease of use.

Those are not distributions, they are desktops. They form part of distributions.

What is the approximate spec of this 2003 laptop, Eddie?


--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook
 
Default Unity!

On 26/09/12 15:00, Doug wrote:

On 09/26/2012 04:42 AM, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

On 09/26/2012 12:22 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with
the 1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity
whatsoever. I have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop,
1gb DRAM. Works very well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all
knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>


Sadly, not if you use OpenDNS. It blocks access, claiming that
"snowlinux.de" is a phishing site. I have advised them of their error.


Peter HB


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Steven Davies-Morris
 
Default Unity!

On 09/26/2012 03:40 AM, CJ Tres wrote:

On 09/26/2012 05:35 AM, CJ Tres wrote:

On 09/26/2012 02:22 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:


You could try Snowlinux 2 "Cream", which is the 12.04 Ubuntu with the
1.2 Mate desktop (the Gnome2 desktop fork) and no Unity whatsoever. I
have it on 1ghz PIII processor 11 year old laptop, 1gb DRAM. Works very
well and is the tried-and-true desktop we all knew of Ubuntu for years.

<http://www.snowlinux.de/blog/380-snowlinux-2-qcreamq-mate-released>


Link fails.



Firefox and Chromium both block it as a phishing site for me!?



edit:
I should have said my DNS server - Open DNS - blocks the site.



I have no idea why it would be ID'd as a phishing site. It is the
official home of snowlinux and is above board. There are several
snowlinux debian platforms. All are solid pieces of work.

Try the top-level page and work down from there.

<www.snowlinux.de>
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
"overfulnoisecascade" prog-ambient-tribal-space CD coming soon

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org