Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
"Regendoerp, Achim"

Default Trouble Mounting NFS Share

Chances are the local router you removed provided a host name for a lookup for them machines, adding the machines to their respective /etc/hosts may solve it, as apparently NFS does a reverse DNS lookup (info found here: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7270-NFS-mount-times-out&p=29064&viewfull=1#post29064)

Hope that helps out.

Cheers,

Achim

This email has been sent from Gala Coral Group Limited ("GCG") or a subsidiary or associated company. GCG is registered in England with company number 07254686. Registered office address: 71 Queensway, London W2 4QH, United Kingdom; website: www.galacoral.com.

This e-mail message (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain privileged and/or proprietorial information protected by legal rules. It is for use by the intended addressee only. If you believe you are not the intended recipient or that the sender is not authorised to send you the email, please return it to the sender (and please copy it to hq@galacoral.com) and then delete it from your computer. You should not otherwise copy or disclose its contents to anyone.

Except where this email is sent in the usual course of business, the views expressed are those of the sender and not necessarily ours. We reserve the right to monitor all emails sent to and from our businesses, to protect the businesses and to ensure compliance with internal policies.

Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error-free, as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, and may contain viruses; anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks. GCG accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Aryan Ameri

Chances are the local router you removed provided a host name for a lookup for them machines, adding the machines to their respective /etc/hosts may solve it, as apparently NFS does a reverse DNS lookup (info found here: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7270-NFS-mount-times-out&p=29064&viewfull=1#post29064)

Hope that helps out.

Thanks very much for that. Adding the client's name and IP to the server's hosts file solved the problem. I didn't know about NFS's reverse hookup and hadn't come across that thread. Thanks for your help

Cheers
--
Aryan Ameri

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Aryan Ameri <info@ameri.me> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Regendoerp, Achim
> <Achim.Regendoerp@galacoral.com> wrote:
>>
>> Chances are the local router you removed provided a host name for a lookup
>> for them machines, adding the machines to their respective /etc/hosts may
>> solve it, as apparently NFS does a reverse DNS lookup (info found here:
>> http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7270-NFS-mount-times-out&p=29064&viewfull=1#post29064)
>
> Thanks very much for that. Adding the client's name and IP to the server's
> hosts file solved the problem. I didn't know about NFS's reverse hookup and
> hadn't come across that thread. Thanks for your help

Linux and Unix do reverse dns lookups for ftp, nfs, telnet, ssh, ...