Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Jan Litwiński

Default Unity!

I used Ubuntu for several years with Gnome 2, but I stop use it when it
started to use Unity, which initially I don't like. I have a
question for you Ubuntu users: How now Unity is
exercises?

--
Jan Litwiński
http://netsjanek.blogspot.com/

Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 September 2012 16:44, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
> I used Ubuntu for several years with Gnome 2, but I stop use it when it
> started to use Unity, which initially I don't like. I have a
> question for you Ubuntu users: How now Unity is
> exercises?

I am sorry, but I don't understand the question.

I like Unity. I find it more elegant & more efficient that GNOME 2.

If you don't, I suggest Xubuntu. XFCE can easily be made to look &
work just like GNOME 2.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Jan Litwiński

Dnia 2012-09-24, o godz. 16:55:48
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On 24 September 2012 16:44, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
> > I used Ubuntu for several years with Gnome 2, but I stop use it
> > when it started to use Unity, which initially I don't like. I have a
> > question for you Ubuntu users: How now Unity is
> > exercises?
>
> I am sorry, but I don't understand the question.

I would like yours opinions about Unity, sorry my mistake.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Jan Litwiński

Dnia 2012-09-24, o godz. 16:55:48
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On 24 September 2012 16:44, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
> > I used Ubuntu for several years with Gnome 2, but I stop use it
> > when it started to use Unity, which initially I don't like. I have a
> > question for you Ubuntu users: How now Unity is
> > exercises?
>
> I am sorry, but I don't understand the question.
>
> I like Unity. I find it more elegant & more efficient that GNOME 2.
>
> If you don't, I suggest Xubuntu. XFCE can easily be made to look &
> work just like GNOME 2.

I know all about XFCE, Kubuntu but I want to ask your opinion about
Unity

Old 09-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Liam Proven

As I said:

I like Unity. I find it more elegant & more efficient that GNOME 2.

I use 2 monitors, side-by-side. I have /lots/ of horizontal space
(3200 pixels) but only one-third as much vertically.

So I wanted vertical panels in GNOME. This is easy in Windows and
works well in everything up to Windows 7, where it is a kludge but
still works.

It never worked worth a damn in GNOME 2, very badly in KDE and poorly in XFCE.

That is what Unity gives me. It is a poor man's Mac OS X desktop and I
like Mac OS X, so I like it.

When I upgraded to 11.04, it imported all my GNOME app-starter
shortcut icons and placed them in the Launcher.

The file manager is the same, the desktop is the same, the icons and
apps are all the same - that's fine.

Just the panels have been replaced with a menu bar and a "dock". This
suits me fine.

Unity's keyboard controls are better than GNOME 2's, too.

The only thing that is worse is the virtual-desktops icon, which does
not show thumbnail windows. That is the one thing, the only thing,
that I think GNOME 3 Shell does better: virtual desktops. Others like
the overview screen GNOME 3 shows when you hit the Windows key; this
is something Unity could easily copy.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Jan Litwiński

Dnia 2012-09-24, o godz. 17:32:16
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On 24 September 2012 17:09, Jan Litwiński <jlitwinski@vp.pl> wrote:
> >>
> > I know all about XFCE, Kubuntu but I want to ask your opinion about
> > Unity
>
> As I said:
>
> I like Unity. I find it more elegant & more efficient that GNOME 2.
>
> I use 2 monitors, side-by-side. I have /lots/ of horizontal space
> (3200 pixels) but only one-third as much vertically.
>
> So I wanted vertical panels in GNOME. This is easy in Windows and
> works well in everything up to Windows 7, where it is a kludge but
> still works.
>
> It never worked worth a damn in GNOME 2, very badly in KDE and poorly
> in XFCE.
>
> That is what Unity gives me. It is a poor man's Mac OS X desktop and I
> like Mac OS X, so I like it.
>
> When I upgraded to 11.04, it imported all my GNOME app-starter
> shortcut icons and placed them in the Launcher.
>
> The file manager is the same, the desktop is the same, the icons and
> apps are all the same - that's fine.
>
> Just the panels have been replaced with a menu bar and a "dock". This
> suits me fine.
>
> Unity's keyboard controls are better than GNOME 2's, too.
>
> The only thing that is worse is the virtual-desktops icon, which does
> not show thumbnail windows. That is the one thing, the only thing,
> that I think GNOME 3 Shell does better: virtual desktops. Others like
> the overview screen GNOME 3 shows when you hit the Windows key; this
> is something Unity could easily copy.

thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
:

> So I wanted vertical panels in GNOME. This is easy in Windows and
> works well in everything up to Windows 7, where it is a kludge but
> still works.
>
> It never worked worth a damn in GNOME 2, very badly in KDE and poorly in XFCE.

I had huge issues with GNOME 2's vertical panels, but I find XFCE's
are easily good enough. Yes, there are issues, but they don't
irritate me anywhere near as much as Unity's and GNOME3's complete
inflexibility with being able to reconfigure the launcher and the menu
bar (top panel) to be where I want them.

Other than that and having to experiment around to set various
features the way I can live with them, I much prefer the whole menu
system of XFCE above and beyond what I found to be a confusing mess in
Unity.

Maybe I'm just a stiff from the old school, but I like it. (I never
liked much of anything about KDE, so I won't even go there, not even
to argue about it.)

Hope that helps.

MR

Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

Well in my opinion, I find Unity to be the best desktop environment I've
used to date! I'm not a gushing schoolboy either but a seasoned vet of
using Linux, and compared to the "clutter" of other DE I find it easy to
use...intuitive, and fun! Something that usually doesn't go with the
word "desktop"!

EGO II