-   -   Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/706863-best-hardware-recommendation-ubuntu-server-12-04-a.html)

Amichai Rotman 09-24-2012 09:37 AM

Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04

Hello All,
I have a small LAN with a File Server running an old version of Linux (which I did not install). The current server is very old and about to "die"....

The server serves 4 WinXP machines and a network printer, and is used to share a few document folders and an application data folder.
I want to provide an alternative to this server, with a look ahead, to last a few years. *I was thinking of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a Core i3 Intel, 2Gb RAM and 2x500 Gb HDDs set up as RAID1.*A friend of mine suggested replacing the CPU with an Intel Pentium G620 to save up ion cost. Is the Core i3 an overkill?

Will appreciate your input on the best cost/productivity ratio for the job...
Thanks!*

Amichai Rotman
*Penguin - FLOSS Computer Service and Technical Consulting
*+972-73-7962360 || *+972-54-4605787

Phil Dobbin 09-24-2012 01:26 PM

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a small LAN with a File Server running an old version of Linux
> (which I did not install). The current server is very old and about to
> "die"....
>
> The server serves 4 WinXP machines and a network printer, and is used to
> share a few document folders and an application data folder.
>
> I want to provide an alternative to this server, with a look ahead, to
> last a few years. I was thinking of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a
> Core i3 Intel, 2Gb RAM and 2x500 Gb HDDs set up as RAID1. A friend of
> mine suggested replacing the CPU with an Intel Pentium G620 to save up
> ion cost. Is the Core i3 an overkill?
>
> Will appreciate your input on the best cost/productivity ratio for the
> job...

You can pick up nowadays Dell PowerEdge 2950s for about 100 on eBay at
reputable sellers (i.e. small businesses who do clearances) that are
more than adequate (for 100 you'd probably get dual-core Xeons & 4GB's
of RAM).

I've got some noisy old HP Proliant DL580/Dell Poweredge 650's down in
the basement running CentOS 6.3 32-bit that were extremely cheap &
powerful but they are noisy & use a lot of juice, the Proliant
especially. But it's running 10 VMs using OpenVZ so it pays its way.

I'd say Core i3 is certainly overkill for what you're proposing to use
it for but don't let me put you off ;-)

I've also got a couple of remote 12.04 VMs running on 2 CPUs with a gig
of RAM each & they're fast & reliable so the OS is no problem for sure.

Check eBay. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise

Liam Proven 09-24-2012 01:48 PM

On 24 September 2012 14:26, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amichai Rotman wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I have a small LAN with a File Server running an old version of Linux
>> (which I did not install). The current server is very old and about to
>> "die"....
>>
>> The server serves 4 WinXP machines and a network printer, and is used to
>> share a few document folders and an application data folder.
>>
>> I want to provide an alternative to this server, with a look ahead, to
>> last a few years. I was thinking of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a
>> Core i3 Intel, 2Gb RAM and 2x500 Gb HDDs set up as RAID1. A friend of
>> mine suggested replacing the CPU with an Intel Pentium G620 to save up
>> ion cost. Is the Core i3 an overkill?
>>
>> Will appreciate your input on the best cost/productivity ratio for the
>> job...
>
> You can pick up nowadays Dell PowerEdge 2950s for about £100 on eBay at
> reputable sellers (i.e. small businesses who do clearances) that are
> more than adequate (for £100 you'd probably get dual-core Xeons & 4GB's
> of RAM).

This sounds like a good idea to me. Yes, such older servers are noisy,
but you can get a lot of power for very little money!

I use a relatively ancient HP Proliant ML110 G1 - P3/3.06GHz - which I
was given free. For a server it has abundant power for my small home
network & it's more robust than a desktop machine would be.

> I'd say Core i3 is certainly overkill for what you're proposing to use
> it for but don't let me put you off ;-)

Agreed.

But mainly, you would be better off with an older, slower,
actual-purpose-built server than a workstation.

There is a maxim:

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

09-24-2012 02:56 PM

Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04

I replaced an old server box a couple of years ago with a Xeon 32bit dualcore. I installed 4GB RAM and 1TB RAID with Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 plus vsftpd and sshd. Works great ever since!

Sent from my android device.

>> I have a small LAN with a File Server running an old version of Linux

>> (which I did not install). The current server is very old and about to

>> "die"....

>> The server serves 4 WinXP machines and a network printer, and is used to

>> share a few document folders and an application data folder.

>> I want to provide an alternative to this server, with a look ahead, to

>> last a few years.* I was thinking of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a

>> Core i3 Intel, 2Gb RAM and 2x500 Gb HDDs set up as RAID1. A friend of

>> mine suggested replacing the CPU with an Intel Pentium G620 to save up

>> ion cost. Is the Core i3 an overkill?

>> Will appreciate your input on the best cost/productivity ratio for the

>> job...

> You can pick up nowadays Dell PowerEdge 2950s for about £100 on eBay at

> reputable sellers (i.e. small businesses who do clearances) that are

> more than adequate (for £100 you'd probably get dual-core Xeons & 4GB's

> of RAM).

This sounds like a good idea to me. Yes, such older servers are noisy,

but you can get a lot of power for very little money!

I use a relatively ancient HP Proliant ML110 G1 - P3/3.06GHz - which I

was given free. For a server it has abundant power for my small home

network & it's more robust than a desktop machine would be.

> I'd say Core i3 is certainly overkill for what you're proposing to use

> it for but don't let me put you off ;-)

Agreed.

But mainly, you would be better off with an older, slower,

actual-purpose-built server than a workstation.

There is a maxim:

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a

server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.

[Cipher in a.s.r]

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

09-24-2012 03:01 PM

Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04

Sorry for top posting! I'm at blackberry phone.

I think there is another questions to see not only cpu power.

I preffer a offboard gigabyte lan on a P4 machine and with the money saved buy a switch with gigalan ports. This is better than a i3 with 8gb and sata3 hd running on a wifi enviroment with 54mb of speed (in a perfect world).

Best regards.

Emiliano

Emiliano Vazquez | PcCentro S.R.L.
Office: +54 (11) 4635-7764 ext. 4
Celular: 15.6253.7165
Mail: emilianovazquez@gmail.com
Web: http://www.pccentro.com.ar

Phil Dobbin 09-24-2012 09:15 PM

Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04

[snip for brevity]

> There is a maxim:
>
> Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
> server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
> [Cipher in a.s.r]

Now that I like :-)

Cheers,

Phil...

"compdoc" 09-24-2012 11:21 PM

Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04

> Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
> server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.

I've been building servers using both server-class hardware, and
desktop-class hardware for years. There isn't much difference other than
cost, as both are reliable.

Granted, if you spend enough and buy complete servers or desktop systems you
might gain extra support, but that support often goes unused.

If you choose wisely, a desktop cpu and components can be just as fast and
as powerful and as reliable as any so called 'server' that's double the
price.

Right now, Im build and testing a qemu-kvm server that runs 3 operating
systems, (2 virtual) that will act as a firewall and spam/virus filter for a
small business. It uses an FX-4100 cpu.

You have to spend a lot for a server to do better than an Intel or AMD
desktop system that's configured correctly. A lot.

As to the original question...

> A friend of mine suggested replacing the CPU with an Intel Pentium G620 to
save up ion cost. Is the Core i3 an overkill?

A G620 is excellent for that task. An i3 is over-kill, but there are
versions of the i3 that use only 35w of power. I use a 35w Core i3 running
ZoneMinder to capture video from IP cams outside the house.

It saves a lot on power and its extremely fast - unlike some old Dell you
might find on ebay. Of course, not all use too much power - it just depends
on the CPU and hard drives and video card used.

The VM server I'm building with the Bulldozer chip draws only 65 watts total
from the wall as measured by a Kill-a-Watt device. Modern CPUs have features
designed to save power when they're idle.

At running virtual machines, the FX-4100 is almost as fast as the Core i5 I
use in my personal desktop, but costs a $100 less.

Anyway, I know a lot of people would rather have Intel hardware, and I'd
suggest buying a socket 1155 board since it supports many Intel CPUs that
are available on the market.

Because of that, it can have a longer, more useful lifespan...

David Fletcher 09-25-2012 08:08 AM

On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 11:37 +0200, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I have a small LAN with a File Server running an old version of Linux
> (which I did not install). The current server is very old and about to
> "die"....
>

> The server serves 4 WinXP machines and a network printer, and is used
> to share a few document folders and an application data folder.

I know it's not the same environment, but when I wanted a server for
home use I decided to roll my own, choosing parts for low power
consumption and reliability. It's one of those Atom boards that takes
12V only rather than an ATX supply, with everything soldered down apart
from the memory, with an Aztec open frame SMPS built into a custom built
case, an expensive Papst cooling fan which, running slow, should last
for many years, and a Samsung 1TB eco hard drive.

My philosophy is to keep it as simple as possible so long as it's up to
the job. This little server of mine has been running 24/7 for over two
years now apart from power cuts with no problems or down time.

I was wondering about putting RAID into this machine but it's probably
OTT for a home system, and looking at the specifications for hard drives
they have ridiculous MTBF figures these days. Apart from which, chatting
to friends at the LUG, it's a fact that the more hardware you put into a
system the more power it consumes and the shorter will be the MTBF for
the entire system.

I decided better to run it 24/7 and protect the power supply. I believe
computer hardware is a bit like a car engine in that the worst thing you
can do to it is keep turning it on and off, so if the power consumption
is low then protect the power supply and leave it running. I've got a
Belkin Gold series socket block that sits between the wall socket and
everything else, and protects the phone and cable type internet
connection too. Then an APC UPS.

We used to have failed telephone answering machines on a regular basis,
but since the current one was connected via the UPS and surge filters,
it has lasted for more years than I can remember, so my final advice for
what it's worth is,

Keep it as simple as possible
Use as few parts as possible
Install high quality parts
Protect the power and network connections from surges and down time

Dave