Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Gene Heskett

Default Quicktime stuff doesn't play

System is 32 bit ubuntu 10-04.4 LTS on 64 bit hardware.

All I get is a black window with no download activity. Ubuntu branded
firefox 3.5something, supposedly up to date.

Are there any fixes available?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Chaos is King and Magic is loose in the world.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Sam Sebastian

I don't think that there is a way to play QuickTime stuff on Linux,
QuickTime is a Apple product right? They are not known for providing
native Linux clients and a quick Google search shows that people have
not had much success running it under wine.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM, "Sam Sebastian" <sebastiansam55@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think that there is a way to play QuickTime stuff on Linux,

> QuickTime is a Apple product right? They are not known for providing

> native Linux clients and a quick Google search shows that people have

> not had much success running it under wine.

Please do not top post.

Quick Time plays just fine under linux, you just need the right software. Wine isn't necessary. Try playing them with VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Sam Sebastian

Please excuse me but I don't think that I have "top-posted" I use
gmail and always make sure to remove the rest of the text below when I
chose reply. Is there something that I am not seeing? And from what I
see it looks like you have "top-posted"

Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 September 2012 17:00, Sam Sebastian <sebastiansam55@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please excuse me but I don't think that I have "top-posted" I use
> gmail and always make sure to remove the rest of the text below when I
> chose reply. Is there something that I am not seeing? And from what I
> see it looks like you have "top-posted"

William is right, you are wrong.

Top posting means that you type your answer /above/ the message you're
replying to. This is common business practice, but it's a recent thing
- it's wrong and it is frowned upon on many mailing lists.

To bottom post, delete the couple of blank lines Gmail inserts, then
cursor down past the text of the email you received and type your
answer *below* it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 24 September 2012 12:30:14 William Scott Lockwood III did opine:

> On Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM, "Sam Sebastian" <sebastiansam55@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I don't think that there is a way to play QuickTime stuff on Linux,
> > QuickTime is a Apple product right? They are not known for providing
> > native Linux clients and a quick Google search shows that people have
> > not had much success running it under wine.
>
> Please do not top post.
>
> Quick Time plays just fine under linux, you just need the right
> software. Wine isn't necessary. Try playing them with VLC.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

My version is very old, and the scripts on that site will not install the
much later version because its already installed. I removed it, which
allowed the newer version to install, but must yet have the wrong plugin as
now most of the vlc seems stripped away in the about, no m4v shows
anyplace.

Still no joy in flatbush...

> On Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM, "Sam Sebastian" <sebastiansam55@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I don't think that there is a way to play QuickTime stuff on Linux,
> > QuickTime is a Apple product right? They are not known for providing
> > native Linux clients and a quick Google search shows that people have
> > not had much success running it under wine.
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Stop searching. Happiness is right next to you. Now, if they'd only
take a bath ...

Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 September 2012 17:38, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> My version is very old, and the scripts on that site will not install the
> much later version because its already installed. I removed it, which
> allowed the newer version to install, but must yet have the wrong plugin as
> now most of the vlc seems stripped away in the about, no m4v shows
> anyplace.
>
> Still no joy in flatbush...

Are we once again trying to support your install of 10.04 with a weird
nonstandard kernel?

If so, I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to help any further. Backup,
wipe, install 12.04, restore and try again.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Ric Moore

On 09/24/2012 03:58 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

System is 32 bit ubuntu 10-04.4 LTS on 64 bit hardware.

All I get is a black window with no download activity. Ubuntu branded
firefox 3.5something, supposedly up to date.
Quicktime or flash?? Mine just went wonkers but re-installing the Adobe
Flash installed did the job. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 25 September 2012 08:44:34 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 09/24/2012 03:58 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > System is 32 bit ubuntu 10-04.4 LTS on 64 bit hardware.
> >
> > All I get is a black window with no download activity. Ubuntu branded
> > firefox 3.5something, supposedly up to date.
>
> Quicktime or flash?? Mine just went wonkers but re-installing the Adobe
> Flash installed did the job. Ric

Quicktime m4v, Ric. 'm4v' wasn't and still is not in the aboutlugins
report even after installing another newer vlc and xine too.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The attacker must vanquish; the defender need only survive.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Thomas Kaiser

On 09/24/2012 06:45 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

On 24 September 2012 17:38, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

My version is very old, and the scripts on that site will not install the
much later version because its already installed. I removed it, which
allowed the newer version to install, but must yet have the wrong plugin as
now most of the vlc seems stripped away in the about, no m4v shows
anyplace.

Still no joy in flatbush...

Are we once again trying to support your install of 10.04 with a weird
nonstandard kernel?

I don't think so.

The videos from this site http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/ cant be played with
Ubuntu.

I tried...

Intel64:~$ uname -a
Linux Intel64 3.2.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:16:45 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

up to date.

Thomas