Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default new tutorial: android SDK on your ubuntu 12.04 system

for my own benefit, i wrote this:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Android_SDK

enjoy.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM
"compdoc"

> for my own benefit, i wrote this:

Using the SDK, is it possible to run android apps on Ubuntu? Like the
Netflix app?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Robert and Everybody,
I am happy to experiment along the lines of your tutorial - with a
view to sharing my findings. I work at present with Kubuntu 12.04, at
two 32 bits computers.
One question for now: is it possible to use *Ubuntu to "root" and
"flash" an Android phone? I have a Lenovo A750. I try to flash/ root
it more or less according to the instructions at this page:
http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.nl/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html
I do manage to run "SP Flashing tool" via Wine. However, I do not
manage so far to install the "MT6575 USB VCOM drivers" - not directly
on *Ubuntu, also not via Win 7 running inside "VirtualBox".
Any thoughts or ideas?
Respectfully yours,
BAS.

2012/9/23 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>:

> for my own benefit, i wrote this:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Android_SDK
>
> enjoy.
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
> http://crashcourse.ca
>
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
> LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

====================

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 20 40

Open source OS: Kubuntu 12.04

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eu

Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Avi Greenbury

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Robert and Everybody,
> I am happy to experiment along the lines of your tutorial - with a
> view to sharing my findings. I work at present with Kubuntu 12.04, at
> two 32 bits computers.
> One question for now: is it possible to use *Ubuntu to "root" and
> "flash" an Android phone?

All I've ever used to flash Android devices is Linux machines and ADB,
so it's certainly possible. You *may* need a Windows machine to run
some peculiar unlocking software, but this is dependant on and
relatively specific to the device. Your best bet is likely somewhere
more aimed at supporting the reflashing of that device than a generic
Ubuntu mailing list; we *may* have someone who has flashed a Lenov
a75 from Ubuntu before, but you're more likely to find one of them on
a list full of people who've flashed Lenovo a75s from various devices.

The general process, as far as I've seen (on HTC and Samsung devices)
is to:
- unlock the boot loader where necessary
- copy update.zip to the root of the fs
- boot into a 'recovery' mode
- install the update package

it's the first step that may be prohibitively complex to do under
Linux - it's likely not something Lenovo have made public, and so
you're restricted to whatever tools have been produced by whoever
managed to reverse-engineer a fix for it. Once you're beyond there and
can use either ADB or the device itself it doesn't much matter which
OS you're using. This is, also, at a point prior to Anrdoid (it's
roughly equivalent to getting past a BIOS or GRUB password before
being able to boot off a CD to install an OS on a PC).

--
Avi

Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

i've added a bit more to the tutorial -- installing and uninstalling
a simple app on your emulator.

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Android_SDK

more coming shortly, always interested in feedback.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Thufir

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:06:23 -0600, compdoc wrote:

>> for my own benefit, i wrote this:
>
> Using the SDK, is it possible to run android apps on Ubuntu? Like the
> Netflix app?

I believe so. Providing that the app doesn't require some form of
Android specific identification (I'm guessing), which can't be spoofed.

I'm just surprised there's no "marketplace" in the ubuntu repository..

-Thufir

Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Bas Roufs wrote:

> Hello Robert and Everybody,

> I am happy to experiment along the lines of your tutorial - with a
> view to sharing my findings. I work at present with Kubuntu 12.04,
> at two 32 bits computers.

by all means, let me know what you discover. just to be clear, all
i'm doing here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Android_SDK

is writing a *very* basic tutorial on how to get the android SDK on
your ubuntu system, and how to start and use the emulator. i realize
there are countless web pages out there that do the same thing -- my
focus is not to try to be all things to all readers, it's to show how
to do this precisely for android 4.1 (api 16) on my 64-bit ubuntu
12.04 system, and nothing more. if you're using something different,
you're on your own.

if people want to test the tutorial and suggest corrections and/or
improvements, let me know. i'll probably be adding more sections to
it today, such as writing, building and installing your first
(trivial) app. if there are pages out there that cover this that
are already verified to work in my situation, let me know the link and
i'll test it and add it to the tutorial.

in the end, all i wanted for myself and a few friends was a recipe
that simply *worked* for our situation. so advice and additions
gratefully accepted.

rday

p.s. you'll notice in the newest sections i added that i ran into a
problem trying to install the very sample app that came with the SDK.
is it just me? or is there really a compatibility issue with the app
as it comes with the SDK? that's the sort of niggling irritation that
i'm trying to document and work around.