Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Graham Watkins

Default Is there any way I can get access to the rest of my memory?

Hi folks,

I've just installed 12.04 + Mate. At the same time I upped my memory to
4gb. I already knew that my 32 bit system wouldn't recognise all of it
but I was somewhat disappointed to find that only 2.9gb showed up.

A bit of googling suggested that installing the PAE kernel would make
more memory accessible. This I have done but it hasn't made any difference.

I know that I should get the full memory if I install the 64 bit version
but, if I have understood correctly, this would use twice as much memory
anyway, giving me equivalent to 2gb on a 32 bit system, so I don't
really see the point.

Is there anything else I can do to get my system to access more of its
memory, or am I stuck with this?

Cheers,

Graham

Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Dick Dowdell

You might find this link (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_3264&num=1) of interest. *I'm a professional software developer and have been using *the 64-bit 12.04 LTS since it became available. *It's been rock solid. *I'm not quite sure why you think 64-bit systems use twice as much memory. *From my experience, that is not true. *If you have 64-bit hardware, use it.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Mika Suomalainen

Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM
John D Lamb

On 23/09/12 08:35, Graham Watkins wrote:
> I know that I should get the full memory if I install the 64 bit version
> but, if I have understood correctly, this would use twice as much memory
> anyway, giving me equivalent to 2gb on a 32 bit system, so I don't
> really see the point.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to get my system to access more of its
> memory, or am I stuck with this?

I found this also with a 32-bit system but found no solution. In
practice, I never got close to using all 3Gb memory.

A 64-bit system should use more memory. But not twice as much. Programs
will do 64-bit calculations, which take more memory. But a lot of memory
is used, for example, for storing text information. This doesn’t need to
use twice as much memory and I don’t think it usually will. Certainly
moving from a 32-bit to 64-bit system hasn’t caused me any problems.

--
John D Lamb

Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM
PleegWat

Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM
"compdoc"

> I know that I should get the full memory if I install the 64 bit version
but, if I have understood correctly, this would use twice as much memory
anyway, giving me equivalent to 2gb on a 32 bit system, so I don't really
see the point.

I doesn't work that way, and 64bit is actually faster. It's time to step
into the future...

Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Avi Greenbury

Graham Watkins wrote:
> A bit of googling suggested that installing the PAE kernel would
> make more memory accessible. This I have done but it hasn't made
> any difference.

What did you install, and have you rebooted since? Could you paste the
output of

uname -a

into an email so we can see which kernel you're running? Also, how are
you testing for the amount of memory available? And do you know which
processor you're running? PAE requires cooperation from the CPU, but
it's been a very long time since anybody made a CPU that didn't
cooperate properly.

> I know that I should get the full memory if I install the 64 bit
> version but, if I have understood correctly, this would use twice as
> much memory anyway, giving me equivalent to 2gb on a 32 bit system,
> so I don't really see the point.

You've understood incorrectly, fortunately A tiny proportion of
what is in RAM takes up twice as much space as what it would do
otherwise - results and current-states of CPU operations, basically -
but the huge majority of stuff is exactly the same size - all the
cached files and other assorted data. In reality there's such a
marginally small increase of memory usage that it may as well not be
there, especially if as part of the upgrade you get another GB of
memory.

--
Avi

Old 09-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Liam Proven

On 23 September 2012 08:35, Graham Watkins <shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> but, if I have understood correctly, this would use twice as much memory
> anyway

No, you have not understood correctly. If you can identify anywhere
that says anything resembling this, please do, because someone needs
to contact them & tell them that they are spreading disinformation
which is flat-out completely wrong.

There is no noticeable memory impact in 64-bit code. It *is* there but
it's tiny, and because for technical reasons, 64-bit code runs faster,
you are actually better off.

(The technical reasons are that the x86 architecture is
register-starved and x86-64 offers twice as many registers. Don't
worry, this is arcane & you don't need to know what it means. Just
know that 64-bit operating systems and programs run 10-30% or so
faster, on average.)

Also, if you still have DOS or Windows installed, or can use a
bootable CD or USB key, try updating your motherboard BIOS. On my
2005-vintage AMD Athlon-X2 motherboard, I had to upgrade to the latest
BIOS for all 4GB to be recognised. When it was made, 4GB was so rare
as to be almost unheard-of.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884