-   -   Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/705947-xubuntu-12-04-sound-not-working.html)

Bill Stanley 09-20-2012 11:21 PM

Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

Hi,

As an experiment, I installed Xubuntu 12.04 to see if it is acceptable.
All in all, it is OK but I am getting absolutely no sound. I read
somewhere that XFCE and Pulse Audio might not work in certain instances.
I have Pulse Audio installed and I am trying to figure out what is
wrong. The problem can't be hardware related because my sound system
works just fine with Ubuntu 10.10. I also notice a lack of meaningful
sound control programs in the default installation of Xubuntu.

I would appreciate any hints in getting my sound working.

Bill Stanley

Steven Grace 09-21-2012 02:10 AM

Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

As an experiment, I installed Xubuntu 12.04 to see if it is acceptable.
All in all, it is OK but I am getting absolutely no sound. I read
somewhere that XFCE and Pulse Audio might not work in certain instances.
I have Pulse Audio installed and I am trying to figure out what is
wrong. The problem can't be hardware related because my sound system
works just fine with Ubuntu 10.10. I also notice a lack of meaningful
sound control programs in the default installation of Xubuntu.

I would appreciate any hints in getting my sound working.

I have a non-standard audio setup and had a much *easier* time getting
sound working in Xubuntu than I did in Ubuntu.

Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by clicking
the speaker icon in the panel?

If you can't figure it out, tell us about your hardware configuration,
especially sound cards and video cards. Xubuntu may have picked the
wrong sound card as your default.

Drac Noc 09-21-2012 05:28 AM

On 21/09/12 03:10, Steven Grace wrote:
> On 09/20/2012 04:21 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>
>> As an experiment, I installed Xubuntu 12.04 to see if it is acceptable.
>> All in all, it is OK but I am getting absolutely no sound. I read
>> somewhere that XFCE and Pulse Audio might not work in certain instances.
>> I have Pulse Audio installed and I am trying to figure out what is
>> wrong. The problem can't be hardware related because my sound system
>> works just fine with Ubuntu 10.10. I also notice a lack of meaningful
>> sound control programs in the default installation of Xubuntu.
>>
>> I would appreciate any hints in getting my sound working.
>
> I have a non-standard audio setup and had a much *easier* time getting
> sound working in Xubuntu than I did in Ubuntu.
>
> Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by
> clicking the speaker icon in the panel?
>
> If you can't figure it out, tell us about your hardware configuration,
> especially sound cards and video cards. Xubuntu may have picked the
> wrong sound card as your default.

Had a similar problem with the wife's netbook (Samsung NC) using Xubuntu
12.04.

It decided that the Line In was the Master Channel, so any volume
settings did nothing for the speakers. You might want to look into that.

Drac.

Bill Stanley 09-21-2012 03:21 PM

Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

On 09/20/2012 10:10 PM, Steven Grace wrote:

< snip >

I have a non-standard audio setup and had a much *easier* time getting
sound working in Xubuntu than I did in Ubuntu.

Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by clicking
the speaker icon in the panel?

That's the problem, I can't find anything related to the sound system.
I always check if the sound has been somehow muted first. The only
thing I found was "Pulse audio sound volume" in the Multimedia menu.
Other than that, there is nothing. I tried playing around with that
without any luck.

If you can't figure it out, tell us about your hardware configuration,
especially sound cards and video cards. Xubuntu may have picked the
wrong sound card as your default.

I do not have a separate sound card, it's on the motherboard. The specs
say it is an integrated 7.1 channel, High Definition Audio with S/PDIF
support. The computer is a Dell Studio XPS.

Bill Stanley

Frans Ketelaars 09-21-2012 03:35 PM

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:21:20 -0400, Bill Stanley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As an experiment, I installed Xubuntu 12.04 to see if it is acceptable.
> All in all, it is OK but I am getting absolutely no sound. I read
> somewhere that XFCE and Pulse Audio might not work in certain instances.
> I have Pulse Audio installed and I am trying to figure out what is
> wrong. The problem can't be hardware related because my sound system
> works just fine with Ubuntu 10.10. I also notice a lack of meaningful
> sound control programs in the default installation of Xubuntu.
>
> I would appreciate any hints in getting my sound working.
>
> Bill Stanley

I would try the command "cat /proc/asound/cards" to see if ALSA
recognizes your sound hardware. You can try "alsamixer" from the command
line to control volumes.

Good luck!

-Frans

Steven Grace 09-22-2012 01:07 AM

On 09/21/2012 08:21 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:

On 09/20/2012 10:10 PM, Steven Grace wrote:

Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by clicking
the speaker icon in the panel?

That's the problem, I can't find anything related to the sound system. I
always check if the sound has been somehow muted first. The only thing
I found was "Pulse audio sound volume" in the Multimedia menu. Other
than that, there is nothing. I tried playing around with that without
any luck.

I'm almost certain that the original Xubuntu 12.04 installation includes
the Indicator Plugin in the panel. If Indicator Plugin isn't there you
can add it back.

It has icons of a speaker, an envelope, and a symbol indicating your
network connection type. I'm referring to the speaker icon in that group.

You can also run "Volume Control" from a terminal. Enter: pavucontrol

If you can't figure it out, tell us about your hardware configuration,
especially sound cards and video cards. Xubuntu may have picked the
wrong sound card as your default.

I do not have a separate sound card, it's on the motherboard. The specs
say it is an integrated 7.1 channel, High Definition Audio with S/PDIF
support. The computer is a Dell Studio XPS.

That doesn't mean you don't have something else that's a "sound card."
My video card has HDMI, which includes audio and is treated as an
additional sound card. But in any case, the volume control program will
allow you to disable any sound cards you don't use.

Bill Stanley 09-22-2012 02:53 AM

On 09/21/2012 09:07 PM, Steven Grace wrote:

[...]

I have that program under multimedia / "pulse audio volume control" and
I ran that prior to asking the forum for help. The problem is that
there are many options and I can't tell which is the right one. As far
as I can tell, everything looks to be correct. Then again, it's hard to
tell from this program. On the Output devices tab it shows:

Port... HDMI / Display port it shows nothing on the drop down
list for this item

PCM is grey but also the check box for this item is enabled.

Front Left and Front Right are grey but the slider is at 100%

Built in Audio Analog stereo .. there is a green check mark here.

Show: All output devices is selected. The other options are Hardware
output devices and Virtual output devices.

Like I said, the output of pavucontrol is hard to make sense of.

--

Bill Stanley

Steven Grace 09-22-2012 03:27 AM

On 09/21/2012 07:53 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

[...]

What devices are listed on the Configuration tab?

Ric Moore 09-22-2012 07:14 AM

On 09/21/2012 10:53 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

[...]

Pavucontrol is not installed by default. Check and see if it's installed
first. Then launch it from command line as you were asked to do. It's
fairly easy to use. You select the layout of your sound system under
Configuration. It should be showing all of your sound devices.

A paid of stereo speakers? Or 5.1 or 7.1? You have to tell pulse what
you have installed externally. Same for a USB headset. If you don't have
S/PDIF hardware connected to your sound chip, then you sure wouldn't
select that as your hardware configuration. Because it's capable,
doesn't mean it's used in the real world in your setup. This is easy.

Leave pavucontrol running and launch something that has audio while you
are in the playback tab. Once your app launches, you should see the
sound bar fluttering. If it's showing your 5.1 setup and you wish to use
your USB headset, you can switch on the fly. THAT is when pulse makes
sense. Your speakers are your "output devices" and input devices are
things like microphones.

I have a 5.1 speaker system and I do not use a mike with my sound card.
So, under configuration, I have 5.1 selected with no input. I use my USB
headset and that is configured "stereo" and "mono" input for the boom
mike. Once you wrap your brains around it, there is nothing simpler to
use! Then, you'll love it. But swapping between devices, on the fly, is
the best part. Plus, if you use your headset for Firefox, the next time
you use firefox, it'll switch to headset, even if you just used your box
speakers to watch a DVD. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Bill Stanley 09-22-2012 01:18 PM

On 09/21/2012 11:27 PM, Steven Grace wrote:

[...]

Under configuration, it lists two devices (this probably is the problem).

Number one: GF116 High Definition Audio Controller
Profile: Digital Stereo (HDMI) output.

Number two: Built in Audio
Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex

I think I am beginning to get a sense of what is going on. Earlier this
month I upgraded my video card. At the time, I was not interested in
the HDMI port that is on the card. Now, when I use Xubuntu 12.04, there
might be a conflict between the sound system that is on the motherboard
and the new HDMI interface that is on the video card. (My old video
card did not have a HDMI port). I'm not sure if this is the problem
because when I turned the HDMI port off in the configuration tab,
nothing happened. Comments anybody?

Bill Stanley