Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Steven Grace

Default Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

On 09/22/2012 06:18 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:

On 09/21/2012 11:27 PM, Steven Grace wrote:

On 09/21/2012 07:53 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:

On 09/21/2012 09:07 PM, Steven Grace wrote:

You can also run "Volume Control" from a terminal. Enter: pavucontrol

I have that program under multimedia / "pulse audio volume control" and
I ran that prior to asking the forum for help. The problem is that
there are many options and I can't tell which is the right one. As far
as I can tell, everything looks to be correct. Then again, it's hard to
tell from this program. On the Output devices tab it shows:

Port... HDMI / Display port it shows nothing on the drop down
list for this item

PCM is grey but also the check box for this item is enabled.

Front Left and Front Right are grey but the slider is at 100%

Built in Audio Analog stereo .. there is a green check mark here.

Show: All output devices is selected. The other options are Hardware
output devices and Virtual output devices.

Like I said, the output of pavucontrol is hard to make sense of.

What devices are listed on the Configuration tab?

Under configuration, it lists two devices (this probably is the problem).

Number one: GF116 High Definition Audio Controller
Profile: Digital Stereo (HDMI) output.

Number two: Built in Audio
Profile: Analog Stereo Duplex

I think I am beginning to get a sense of what is going on. Earlier this
month I upgraded my video card. At the time, I was not interested in
the HDMI port that is on the card. Now, when I use Xubuntu 12.04, there
might be a conflict between the sound system that is on the motherboard
and the new HDMI interface that is on the video card. (My old video
card did not have a HDMI port). I'm not sure if this is the problem
because when I turned the HDMI port off in the configuration tab,
nothing happened. Comments anybody?

You have the right idea. Have you rebooted since disabling the HDMI output?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Bill Stanley

Hi,

Problem solved! It was the HDMI interface and I needed to do a reboot
which is why disabling it didn't seem to make a difference. Once I
rebooted, I did get my sound back.

Bill Stanley

Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Steven Grace