Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 PM
John Hupp

Default How to install Apcupsd with a UPS on Ubuntu/Lubuntu/?buntu

Hello, all.

I want to install an APC UPS with apcupsd under the Lubuntu
variant of Ubuntu.

Prior to trying to install the software, I was going to follow
the manual's instructions for making sure that the UPS was
properly set up in the USB subsystem.

But I couldn't even get to first base.* The first instruction
is to run "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" from a shell prompt.*
But that yields "No such file or directory."

Has anyone written a how-to for installing (or simply knows
how to install) on Ubuntu or any of its variant distros?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:09:18 -0400, John Hupp wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> I want to install an APC UPS with apcupsd under the Lubuntu variant of
> Ubuntu.
>
> Prior to trying to install the software, I was going to follow the
> manual's instructions for making sure that the UPS was properly set up
> in the USB subsystem.
>
> But I couldn't even get to first base. The first instruction is to run
> "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" from a shell prompt. But that yields "No
> such file or directory."
>
> Has anyone written a how-to for installing (or simply knows how to
> install) on Ubuntu or any of its variant distros?

I have it currently installed under Debian Squeeze and I had it installed
previously under Ubuntu Lucid. In both cases I just installed the
following packages from corresponding distros main repositories:

apcupsd
apcupsd-cgi (if I remember correctly this was installed as dependency)
apcupsd-doc
gapsmon (quite a nice GUI front end for apcupsd, and works flawlessly)

The things worked out of the box, so I am not sure what additional
instructions are necessary. Make sure prior the installation your APC UPS
is connected. It should be detected on fly.

After installation gapsmon will add itself to Applications->System Tools
menu. It's a little tricky to set its preferences in order to keep both
its icons in system tray persistently.

If you will not figure it out. I could help by looking into my own
settings but right now I'm in harry, sorry. Ask later if needed, I'll
take a look.

BTW, you would help yourself by not posting in HTML. Many folks around
(me including :->) usually ignore such posts. It would increase your
chance to get help.

No offence here, just a friendly suggestion. :-)

Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
David Fletcher

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 03:23 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> apcupsd
> apcupsd-cgi (if I remember correctly this was installed as dependency)
> apcupsd-doc
> gapsmon (quite a nice GUI front end for apcupsd, and works flawlessly)
>
> The things worked out of the box, so I am not sure what additional
> instructions are necessary. Make sure prior the installation your APC UPS
> is connected. It should be detected on fly.

Not quite out of the box for me - after installing I always edit the
configuration file. I seem to remember having to change it to make it
work with USB but it's easy to do. The configuration file is well
documented.

The USB cable from my UPS is connected to a headless server as that's
the only computer that's powered up 24/7. The UPS also supplies power to
this desktop, which also has apcupsd installed, but configured to talk
to the server to get its updates on power availability via the network.
Again this is all documented in the config file.

Dave

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Frank

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 18:09 -0400, John Hupp wrote:

> Has anyone written a how-to for installing (or simply knows how to
> install) on Ubuntu or any of its variant distros?

Check this:

http://www.serenux.com/2011/01/howto-configure-an-apc-ups-to-communicate-with-your-ubuntu-desktop-or-server/

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 08:50:40 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 03:23 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>
>> apcupsd
>> apcupsd-cgi (if I remember correctly this was installed as dependency)
>> apcupsd-doc
>> gapsmon (quite a nice GUI front end for apcupsd, and works flawlessly)
>>
>> The things worked out of the box, so I am not sure what additional
>> instructions are necessary. Make sure prior the installation your APC
>> UPS is connected. It should be detected on fly.
>>

> Not quite out of the box for me - after installing I always edit the
> configuration file. I seem to remember having to change it to make it
> work with USB but it's easy to do. The configuration file is well
> documented.

My bad. I completely forgotten that I had to edit the /etc/apcupsd/
apcupsd.conf file as well. But it was quite trivial.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
David Fletcher

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 19:36 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> My bad. I completely forgotten that I had to edit the /etc/apcupsd/
> apcupsd.conf file as well. But it was quite trivial.

So for next time, comment your edits so that you know what to do without
having to figure it all out afresh when doing a fresh install of the
next Ubuntu version. And as somebody was recently asking about backups,
keep a copy of /etc/, not to blindly copy back into the new system, but
as a reference for what you did before.

Dave