Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 AM
R Kimber

Default java / pulseaudio question

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 06:12:30 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> > I think it is a bug in the code not a Java related problem. The Master
> > Gain is a control that may not exist in PulseAudio and the program was
> > hard coded for a control with that name. If the player isn't huge and
> > you can send it to me I'll try it on a Sun JDK installation for you.
>
> I'd like to try it too! Ric

Here's the link:

http://www.hotto.de/software/ambiophonicaudioplayer.html

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM
R Kimber

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 05:57:26 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> On 09/19/2012 07:38 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> > I'm trying to run a jar file (an audio player) but get the following
> > errors:
> >
> > Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
> > Master Gain not supported at
> > org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioLine.ge tControl(PulseAudioLine.java:89)
> > at DSPAudio.run(DSPAudio.java:281)
> >
> > Is this issue likely to be a bug in the jar file, a problem with
> > PulseAudio, or might it be solved by installing the Sun/Oracle version
> > of java rather than open java? I seem to have:-
> > java version "1.6.0_24"
> > OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.4)
> > (6b24-1.11.4-1ubuntu0.12.04.1) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build
> > 20.0-b12, mixed mode)
> Try running this with your present java install
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasounddemo-140014.html
>
> If it doesn't work you might try either Openjdk version 7 or Oracle
> java. That's what I use and have no problems running sound files.
> Installing Oracle Java 7 with this works a charm, as getting all of the
> alternatives set is a beast of a chore.
> http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html
>
> Ric

Thanks for your suggestions. I've solved it now by removing openjdk and
installing the Oracle/Sun JDK7. It now works fine.

- Richard.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Knute Johnson

On 9/23/2012 4:15 AM, R Kimber wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:15:13 -0700
Knute Johnson wrote:

Richard:

It works fine on my Oracle (used to be Sun) JDK 7 installations under XP
and Linux and on JDK 6 under XP (didn't have a 6 on Linux to try) So
maybe it will work if you put a Sun JDK on your system. When I look at
my Linux installation I have ALSA and that's what Java is using I think.
So it could still be something to do with PulseAudio but I would
certainly try loading a Sun JDK to test it. I'm including some Java
code that I use to look at audio files to see if they will play under
Java.

Knute:

Many thanks for your help on this. I removed the openjdk and installed the
Sun/Oracle JDK 7 and it is now working fine. It's a pity that Ubuntu
doesn't use this version. I've also discovered something else that doesn't
work with openjdk but is fine with Sun/Oracle.

- Richard.

I probably should have mentioned that the first thing I do when I load a
new Linux is to get rid of OpenJDK and replace it with Sun's.

If you are going to do any Java programming there are a couple of good
news groups, comp.lang.java.help and comp.lang.java.programmer. There
are plenty of folks there that have knowledge of JavaSound and the
related API.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Ric Moore

It works fine on my Oracle (used to be Sun) JDK 7 installations under XP
and Linux and on JDK 6 under XP (didn't have a 6 on Linux to try) So
maybe it will work if you put a Sun JDK on your system. When I look at
my Linux installation I have ALSA and that's what Java is using I think.
So it could still be something to do with PulseAudio but I would
certainly try loading a Sun JDK to test it. I'm including some Java
code that I use to look at audio files to see if they will play under
Java.

Knute:

Many thanks for your help on this. I removed the openjdk and installed the
Sun/Oracle JDK 7 and it is now working fine. It's a pity that Ubuntu
doesn't use this version. I've also discovered something else that doesn't
work with openjdk but is fine with Sun/Oracle.

To be fair, you had OpenJDK 6 installed? OpenJDK 7 is supposed to be as
close to Oracle Java JDK as ever before, since it is based on OpenJDK
now ...supposedly. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Ric Moore

I'm trying to run a jar file (an audio player) but get the following
errors:

Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
Master Gain not supported at
org.classpath.icedtea.pulseaudio.PulseAudioLine.ge tControl(PulseAudioLine.java:89)
at DSPAudio.run(DSPAudio.java:281)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)

[...]

It runs on my machine but hates my 48000 formated wav files. Every one
of them! <sobs uncontrollably> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 17:09:29 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> > Thanks for your suggestions. I've solved it now by removing openjdk and
> > installing the Oracle/Sun JDK7. It now works fine.
> It runs on my machine but hates my 48000 formated wav files. Every one
> of them! <sobs uncontrollably> Ric

Well, one could convert them :-)

- Richard.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Ric Moore

Thanks for your suggestions. I've solved it now by removing openjdk and
installing the Oracle/Sun JDK7. It now works fine.

It runs on my machine but hates my 48000 formated wav files. Every one
of them! <sobs uncontrollably> Ric

Well, one could convert them :-)

- Richard.

I've actually spent some time today looking into how to do just that.
I'm not finding any point-and-click app to do that. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
R Kimber

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:31:03 -0400
Ric Moore wrote:

> I've actually spent some time today looking into how to do just that.
> I'm not finding any point-and-click app to do that. Ric

Will soundconverter not do it? Certainly Sox will, though it's a command
line job (though not complicated).

- Richard.