Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   unable to run video with hardware capabilities on pandaboard (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/705061-unable-run-video-hardware-capabilities-pandaboard.html)

"a.g.megharaj megharaj" 09-18-2012 11:39 AM

unable to run video with hardware capabilities on pandaboard
 
I am trying to run xbmc on Pandaboard. Here are the steps I followed

1. installed ubuntu 12.04 (armhf) from http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/precise/ubuntu-12.04-r6-minimal-armhf-2012-09-10.tar.xz


2. installed ubuntu-omap-extras (sudo apt-get install ubuntu-omap-extras) after adding TI PPA

3. sudo apt-get install xinit xbmc

4. now I can see if I try to run xinit it gives me error (Xorg log is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/1212685/)


5. I observed omaplfb and pvrsrvkm modules are not loaded so before calling xinit I try loading them and found both to be loaded but while loading omaplfb I got segmentation fault (though lsmod shows the module been loaded)


6. Kernel log can be found at http://paste.ubuntu.com/1212692/

I have been trying this for a month and tried various way to make it up and running.

Any suggestion or comment will be highly appreciated and definitely would be a great help for me.


Also, if anyone can point me out the working kernel + FS (ubuntu or debian) repository for Pandaboard (not ES version) will be an ultimate help. I need source code for working image as later I have some plan to modify some features.


Thanks in advance.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Oliver Grawert 09-18-2012 11:58 AM

unable to run video with hardware capabilities on pandaboard
 
hi,
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:09:43 +0530
"a.g.megharaj megharaj" <agmegharaj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to run xbmc on Pandaboard. Here are the steps I followed
>
> 1. installed ubuntu 12.04 (armhf) from
> http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/precise/ubuntu-12.04-r6-minimal-armhf-2012-09-10.tar.xz
>

why didnt you use an official ubuntu image but something thats was
hacked together manually by someone ?

(feel free to drop by on IRC in #ubuntu-arm on freenode.net)

ciao
oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"a.g.megharaj megharaj" 09-18-2012 12:14 PM

unable to run video with hardware capabilities on pandaboard
 
thanks for your quick reply.

do you think sgx support is in working condition on ubuntu official image for pandaboard (omap 4) ?

if so then please point me to ubuntu official release source code repo.


Regards,
Megharaj

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:

hi,

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:09:43 +0530

"a.g.megharaj megharaj" <agmegharaj@gmail.com> wrote:



> I am trying to run xbmc on Pandaboard. Here are the steps I followed

>

> 1. installed ubuntu 12.04 (armhf) from

> http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/precise/ubuntu-12.04-r6-minimal-armhf-2012-09-10.tar.xz

>



why didnt you use an official ubuntu image but something thats was

hacked together manually by someone ?



(feel free to drop by on IRC in #ubuntu-arm on freenode.net)



ciao

* * * * oli


--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Oliver Grawert 09-18-2012 12:33 PM

unable to run video with hardware capabilities on pandaboard
 
hi,
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:44:54 +0530
"a.g.megharaj megharaj" <agmegharaj@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for your quick reply.
>
> do you think sgx support is in working condition on ubuntu official
> image for pandaboard (omap 4) ?
>
> if so then please point me to ubuntu official release source code
> repo.
>
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAP has links to the official images, for
the most minimal install possible you should probably take the
netinstall images (they are also the only ones where you can install
your rootfs to USB disk which is what you want when wanting stutter
free video streaming). ubuntu has the sgx drivers in the archive (just
install the pvr-omap4 package) and in quantal they are even in installed
the image by default (since unity requires them to run).

you problem with precise will be that TI did not release the codecs for
the kernel version used in this release. they provide codec packages in
the TI ppa together with a replacement kernel though but this requires
that the image you use as a base has the proper default setup from
ubuntu for bootloader config etc ... so whatever you do, you should
start with a proper ubuntu image as a base.

there are also linaro images and packages for xbmc that are optimized
for panda (talk to the linaro guys in #linaro on freenode or on one of
their mailing lists) that are properly built from the ubuntu archive
using the right defaults.

ciao
oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"a.g.megharaj megharaj" 09-18-2012 12:43 PM

unable to run video with hardware capabilities on pandaboard
 
thanks a lot for the reply.

We will try with these things as said by you. Also we will revert back with the results.

Best Regards
Megharaj

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:

hi,

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:44:54 +0530

"a.g.megharaj megharaj" <agmegharaj@gmail.com> wrote:



> thanks for your quick reply.

>

> do you think sgx support is in working condition on ubuntu official

> image for pandaboard (omap 4) ?

>

> if so then please point me to ubuntu official release source code

> repo.

>

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAP has links to the official images, for

the most minimal install possible you should probably take the

netinstall images (they are also the only ones where you can install

your rootfs to USB disk which is what you want when wanting stutter

free video streaming). ubuntu has the sgx drivers in the archive (just

install the pvr-omap4 package) and in quantal they are even in installed

the image by default (since unity requires them to run).



you problem with precise will be that TI did not release the codecs for

the kernel version used in this release. they provide codec packages in

the TI ppa together with a replacement kernel though but this requires

that the image you use as a base has the proper default setup from

ubuntu for bootloader config etc ... so whatever you do, you should

start with a proper ubuntu image as a base.



there are also linaro images and packages for xbmc that are optimized

for panda (talk to the linaro guys in #linaro on freenode or on one of

their mailing lists) that are properly built from the ubuntu archive

using the right defaults.



ciao

* * * * oli


--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.